Progress, Slow Progress

 Progress seems to be very slow here on the mountain side. I mowed for the very first time with my new electric mower. I didn't miss the self-propel feature at all. I mowed the dog yard. The grass seed I planted has finally grown high enough to need mowing. It took me all of 5 minutes!!

I did my usual routine of poop scooping prior to rolling the mower over the grass. Toni Louise did her usual thing by squatting in my path and delivering her special gift, while looking at me like I was an intruder in her world.

Five minutes will not constitute exercise for me. Not to worry, that walk up the drive to my She Shed more than makes up for the lack of walking distance. I am winded by the time I reach the top of the drive. My steps have yet to appear that would eliminate that walk. 

Though I have not unloaded the small shed yet, my porch now looks like a porch more and more every day. All the boxes are unpacked, and I keep finding little treasures I packed away inside towels and t-shirts, still no silverware, so I was right in thinking it must be in the small shed.

The carport was on the schedule for today, but the wind has prevented that from happening and we are slated for Thursday now. No big deal, I have plenty to keep me busy outside. My She Shed has been wired for power. The only thing stopping me from plugging anything in is the actual tie-in to electricity. That is not stopping me for organizing to my heart's content. I have two big door and two windows to pull light in.

When I tire of moving stuff around and climbing the ladder to put stuff away, I can step outside and work on the surroundings. I have cleared a lot of the debris under the trees. The pathway to my future steps has been cleared to the ground and I have solar lights lining my path. I can look out the window and see them at night.

I want to start planting my perennials but am waiting until HeWho is done stomping around the building. He still has to do the underpinning, so any plants near the She Shed are definitely waiting! In the meantime, dead trees have been cut down and the underbrush is slowly being raked away and burned. I am leaving the composted leaves that I sink into as a good base for flower beds.

While shopping in Home Depot for my hosta plants a friendly customer warned me not to plant anything until after Mother's Day. I smiled and thanked her for her advice and went on about my business of digging through the pallet of plants searching for my finds. Really? 

I have NEVER waited that long, even when we lived in Minnesota. How would you account for daffodils and tulips living through all the frosts? I have already planted peonies and dianthus, both are doing quite well and were in the ground during that last bout of freezing nights. Iris and lilies are up out of the ground everywhere! Of course I wouldn't be planting annuals, except for pansies. I am not an idiot, although my ferns did wither and die this year. I put them on the porch, but they didn't make through that 18 degree night. I need a green house to over-winter my plants.

That shall be a project for fall. Today I am not daunted by the forecast of wind. The sun is shining and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I will be making my way up the drive to either haul some boxes from the tiny shed or continue raking leaves and clearing underbrush. My muscles will soon become accustomed to that hike up the drive that I make at least twice a day.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Dynamo .... maybe? Little, not so much! I spent the entire day yesterday doing absolutely nothing!

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure you do more in a day than I do in a week! Soon there will come a day when all the boxes have been unpacked and you can spend a half hour or so just enjoying the sun out on your she shed porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can rest assured; I do stop to "smell the roses". Not that I grow roses, but the sentiment applies!

      Delete
  3. When you get everything the way you like it, you won't have any thing to do. Then you will sew and write and plant and enjoy life on your mountain. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will always be something to do in the gardens!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier