Heading Home and Facial Hair

The service for our cousin, Kevin was just as he would have wanted. Doris held up well and lots of prople showed up to lend support. She is handling this big change in her life bravely.

With so many people surrounding her with love, we felt okay leaving this morning to head home. My insomnia is harder to deal with while traveling. I am a big fan of routine and in such a small space, it is hard to be awake and not disturb HeWho sleeps soundly. Funny, but I don't know why I even considered being quiet, he can't hear a thing!

Last night seemed to last so much longer that it actually did. I slept a few hours, then took the animals out and came back inside to wait for my driver to awake. I read awhile and longed for coffee. I totally forgot to bring coffee and we even stopped for supplies and I forgot it again. WE were on the road by 10:30 and HeWho can be very thoughtful stopped and got me a cup of the hottest coffe I have ever had! I poured it into a travel mug and had one sip before I fell asleep.

I slept so hard, I didn't even wake when we stopped to take the canines out. Well, HeWho took them out. I must have been near comatose to sleep through the difficult task of putting leashes on 3 excited dogs. I can leash them in mere seconds, they know to wait their turn and not to jump around when I have the leads in my hand. HeWho commands no respect and they give him a hard time, running from him, jumping around and just general shenanigans on their part.

I slept until we reached Perry. We are spending the night here and will be home tomorrow. We were picked up by my sister-in-law, Pam and driven to a restaurant where we enjoyed a meal with family. Our niece, Tara and her son, Hollis came. Hollis was on a roll tonight. Almost 7, he told his mom he wanted his dad to teach him how to grow facial hair. Facial hair is the term he used. He was disappointed to learn that he is not old enough to grow facial hair.


Comments

  1. Oh how sweet, a dear little boy wanting to grow facial hair. I do wonder where he picked up the term! Glad you finally got a bit of sleep, and soon you'll be home in your own bed for a good night's rest. It's good that you went to help your cousin with the ceremony, but she will soon find out how living alone feels. A big difference from having been a caregiver for so long to her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollis can come up with some interesting things! This is the second time Doris has lost a husband, so she knew what she was in for as soon as she accepted his decision not to seek further care. I don't know if that will make it easier. She was quite young when her first husband died. No children of her own, but she has step children who seem to care for her very much. That will be a big comfort.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to have you home again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you didn't day sleep so long that you'll have trouble sleeping tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all! With insomnia, it seems to finally catch up and you sleep very soundly for a bit, then it comes back!

      Delete
  4. Good for you, finally getting some sleep. I'm relieved that Toni Louise did not manage to escape, with HeWho manning the leashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni is an old lady and not so interested in adventure anymore. Everytime I look into her cloudy eyes and gray face I think of your Juno and hug her and kiss her sweet old head. I know she won't live forever and it stabs me in the heart.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got a good sound sleep. and it will be nice to be back home and back to routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of routine. Without it I feel a little lost.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retired!

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth