Dora, The Turtle Learns a New Trick

 I have been thinking that I need a new laptop. The picture thing is making me crazy and the letters on my keyboard are  mostly gone. The plastic is coming apart, but I hate new things. I need to be at my son's house and I won't even have to participate!

So, we need to make another trip! Since my garden is a fruitless mess, why not? I picked enough green beans for a meal and the bushes are mostly dead. Only cherry tomatoes are being picked at this point. My flowers and trees and bushes are all well established now and can thrive without me.

As I said before, Mr. BoJangles has turned into a good traveler. Dora, the turtle, not so much. We use her old habitat that she outgrew and place it in the shower. She likes a hide to sleep under and a few toys along with her dietary needs. She is now eating two big worms everyday along with some floating food sticks and cabbage or lettuce. Note that I said "floating food sticks".

We take along several gallons of well water from home just for her. Depending on where we stay, the water may be city water and treated. She doesn't need chemicals. Fortunately we had a big 3 gallon jug on board and I insisted on another four gallon containers. Turned out to be an excellent idea on my part. I like to use the bottles to wedge around her habitat to keep it from sliding around on the road.

Everytime I went to check on her, her habitat was empty of water. I assumed it sloshed out when we were on the road and refilled it. On the second day I mentioned it to HeWho drives over every bump and pothole he can find. "Did you put the plug in?" Of course I did, but went to check anyway. Said plug was at the other end of the habitat! So, I thought that maybe I forgot to put it in after I cleaned it and replaced it in the RV. But, I know it held water when I filled it. I put the plug in the assigned hole and added another gallon of water. It seems that Dora has learned how to remove the plug! 

She did it again a couple of times before we got home. I will have to just glue it in place. The habitat is easy enough to clean without having a plug. I forgot toys and had to use a plastic bowl to made a hide for her and I suppose she was not happy with me and decided to let me know!

As much as she likes water, she enjoys walking around dry. I have been putting her on the floor to walk around with the dogs. Bo wants her to play with him so bad. He will put his little paw out tentatively, then pull it back. You might recall that she bit his nose once. She doesn't seem to mine Eddie following her, but she does not like Toni Louise trying to taste her!

I will be planning another trip. Soon. 

Comments

  1. Dora probably says "heh, heh, heh" when she pulls the plug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! She has a fiesty attitude about her.

      Delete
  2. Dora's proud of her new trick, but hasn't made the connection that it leaves her without water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, she knows I will refill it! Sometimes I think my pets are trying to train me!

      Delete
  3. So sad that poor HeWho was assumed the culprit, heh, heh! I would have bet my lottery money on that. Dora is quite the genius. I hope you have a plan in place in case she grows to the size of a Galapagos tortoise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he usually is, isn't he? She shouldn't get much bigger that that bear claw on the window of the truck. I would love to have a big tortoise, but they live such a long time and I don't want my pets to outlive me. I am not sure they would be taken care of by my children. I would want Adrienne to take all my dogs, since she inherited my crazy dog lady genes, but that might be a bit much for her. I am sure she would take Eddie and Toni Louise, but she didn't seem to appreciate Mr. BoJangles range of sounds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retired!

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth