Changing Sheets

 I find myself on the upswing of my mental disease today. I have accomplished much today in this unrelenting heat. I pickled some red onions, watered and watered again. Dug up and replanted a half dozen gladiolas and weeded the vegetable garden.

I tend to be very productive when my mind is racing as it is, so if this post is somewhat disjointed ..... I cleaned the house and did 2 loads of laundry. Changed the sheets on my bed, which is always a challenge in the tight confines of my bedroom.

I always have high hopes when I put clean sheets on my bed. I hate wrinkles in my sheets and go to great lengths to prevent them from happening. I bought these elastic straps with hooks, think garter belts from long ago, supposedly garateed to prevent the sheet from moving. Those of you who are young won't be able to imagine this. I put ones with 3 clasps at the top corners of the sheet and recently purchased a long one that runs under the bottom of the mattress and hooks to the sheet with the corner in the middle.

I don't know what this man of mine does in the night to make the sheet literally have a fold in the middle of his side of the bed. The elastic straps will still be intact on his side of the bed. Mine will be at least partially undone, with the sheet barely covering my side of the mattress. Since I suffer insomnia, you would think I would know what he does to cause this. He does toss and turn a good bit, but how he manages the disarray of the bottom sheet is a mystery.

Does he watch me with one eye closed to see when I am fully asleep, much like Mr. BoJangles watches my eyes to see when they open? Then when I am in a deep sleep, he must get up and come to my side of the bed to unclip the sheet on my side?

Maybe it is the content of the fabric. I do not like the new microfiber sheets. I prefer cotton. I know that cotton will stretch, so I like mine with some polyester in the mix to stabilize the stretching. Then I stop making my bed to ponder the word polyester.

 It sounds like a name. Had my twins been girls I could have named them Pollyester and Pollyanna.  Their names would have been unique! We could have called them Ester and Anna. As it turned out I had a boy and a girl and would not have been that cruel. After all, HeWho suggested naming them Jack and Jill. I vetoed that, not wanting them to hate us.

We are going out for dinner tonight, so upon completeing my chores I retired to the bathroom to make myself presentable. No one needs to see me all sweaty with no makeup, one side of my hair flat to my head and the other side standing on end. Well, nobody except HeWho. I just love him that much!

All ready to venture off the side of my mountain when the sky turns dramatically dark and thunder rolls before a sudden downpour. Couldn't exactly leave in the middle of a storm. Toni Louise is beside herself with fear. She paces between the two humans, shaking violently and I can't leave her in this state. Then I notice that Eddie is also trembling. The storm justs keeps getting worse and it is hard to see out the window. Mr. BoJangles appears to be totally unaffected, he finds his favorite spot on the back of the sofa close to me and falls asleep.

The rain makes me think of my daughter in Florida. My baby girl who recently lost her puppy. She was so devastated and I knew she needed another puppy to love, but would never say so. She is now the proud mommy of a Frenchie named Bowie. He is really cute and many facetime calls are happening so I can share her joy. But the last call is the one I am thinking of.

Rain was coming down steadily and her pool was over flowing onto the atrium. In the background I could see my son-in-law with a 5 gallon bucket hauling water from the pool to the front yard. He seemed content in his task and it struck me funny. All the technology built into their home and he is going old school with a bucket. I was supposed to be watching my grandson trying to make his Frenchie, Bruno do tricks. 

The rain has stopped and I am hungry.

Comments

  1. A very full day, buckets included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the sheet thing, but can't explain it. I am always finding my half of the bed with the sheet pulled over to the middle, despite it being a fitted sheet that SHOULD stay in place. Hick must sleep like an alligator practicing death rolls, to pull all that fabric to his side of the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do they do? I even asked him if he grabbed the sheet to assist his turn over and he claims he cannot understand the question. This makes me madder, the pretending not to understand, like he is suddenly from a different country!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retired!

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth