Heavy Hearted

 My heart is heavy today. You all know that my baby girl recently lost her puppy and is still grieving that loss. Yesterday was another difficult day for her and her husband. 

Gemma, the pit mix, who has been with them for many years with no aggression whatsoever. Until she met my Eddie. She attacked him, but other than scaring the poop out of him, he was not injured. No blood was shed.

Then a couple of weeks later she attacked Max. Max is an old little guy who was there when they adopted her. She has always gotten along with him. They were buddies. My son-in-law was bitten when he pulled them apart. They kept the dogs separated after that. I know it had to have scared poor Max. He was top dog for so long, but never resented his new sibling. 

After this they consulted the vet to see what they could do for Gemma. My son-in-law loved this dog as much as his wife loved her puppy. They decided to try behavior modification. During this time, Gemma was never left alone with one of the other dogs.

After Birdie died, I am sure the atmosphere was somber and things were just going along. Then yesterday, Gemma attacked Max again. Max had to have surgery on his mouth and Gemma had to be put to sleep.

My son-in-law is now facing all the pain that goes with losing a pet and Max has to recover. My daughter will have Max to take care of and I am sure that will help her cope. I am more worried about Chad, my son-in-law.

I am just so sad, knowing how much it hurts to lose a pet and knowing there is nothing I can do to make them feel better. 

Comments

  1. Yes, it is very sad to lose a pet, and also sad to have one injured. At least they know they did everything possible to help Gemma remain in their family. Life doesn't always work out as we'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just so sad, they had 4 dogs and suddenly only two are left. Max is old, so there will come a day when he is no longer there.

      Delete
  2. It's so very hard to be on the outside and know you can't make a situation better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine the pain you're all going through. Our pets are family. Only God knows the reason for this turn of events. The sorrow and pain will ease with time, but that doesn't make it any easier now. They and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retired!

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth