Stairway To Heaven?

 See my She Shed up there? I can now walk out my door and go up the steps with out hiking up the driveway to get there. I will call this the stairway to paradise! I don't know if you can see that it slopes upward the entire way to the shed and I am now convinced I need a boardwalk made from pallets. The slope is easier and it would gradually step up every 4' or so. With that in mind, I am thinking I will need to plant hostas along the way .....


Yay! Finally got some pictures to download! I knew that one day it would happen ....... HeWho decided my scrappy steps up the embankment were not sufficient. He is not one to use whatever he finds available and off he went to the building supply.

He bought risers and the necessary boards for steps. He was armed with 2X2's and ready to build the handrails. I stopped him and added the rustic ones I had so carefully scraped the bark from. I like mine. It adds a touch of the rustic.


Better view. There is the rail for big people and a rail for little people. I am looking for more fallen limbs to scrape to add to the other side. You know, just incase we get a visit from my great nephews who are now walking!

I can't believe how fast the babies have grown. Seems like just yesterday we were on our way to meet them for the first time. I was excited and sad all at the same time, knowing how proud my sister would have been of those boys. We are planning a visit for later this month.

Today we will be picking up more cinder blocks I found on marketplace, then we will start on the retaining wall. Just need to get the mortar and rebar ready. I planned for a 3' wall. That will leave 3' above the retaining wall and I want to put blueberry plants in there. I am still thinking about what I can do to "fence off" the top of the embankment. For little people and dizzy old people.

Later I will be playing in the dirt some more. I have tomato seedlings and pepper plants, acorn squash plants and about 24 early pea plants ready to get in the ground. Supposed to rain this afternoon and that will be just about perfect!

Comments

  1. I think the steps are a vast improvement over the unstable steps you put in, though they did their job at the time. On a personal note, for me, I would have preferred the railings to match the steps, that's just one of my things I'm fussy about. I like symmetry. But I'm glad you have a safer way to get to your she-shed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the makeshift stairway is still working! It is farther up the driveway. I will be happy to use the new ones, though. I usually like things to match, but not in this case. I like the rustic appeal. I handscraped all those branches. They are really smooth.

      Delete
  2. yay for HeWho. real stairs and I love the skinned branch handrail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I gathered the branches and scraped them myself. I am sure some of them are mountain laurel. It makes lovely handrails. HeWho was even impressed with my efforts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier