Did I Spike My Tea?

 Last weekend we had the pleasure of entertaining family. I always find anticipating company will push me into a frenzy of cleaning. While that may be off-putting to some, it is just an incentive to do all the things I have been putting off. Doesn't matter if it is family, I still like to have everything in order and I really appreciate my efforts after the visit has ended.

Of course I don't have the room necessary to actually bed down extra guests, there are plenty of other options available. Air B&B's hotels and such. This part of the family belongs to the HeWho side of the family. His cousin and his family that we have not seen in many years. A party of 7, they chose to stay in an air b&b not far from our tiny abode.

I like to cook for crowds, but the stove situation did not allow that to happen. I have a very large old library table on the porch that can easily seat 10, but it is still too cool in the late afternoons for that to be comfortable. So, as a result, we visited eateries for the most part.

We had recently happened upon one place quite by accident two weeks ago and found the food and service to be excellent, so of course we took the party there one night. Friday night all you can eat fish and shrimp with all the fixins .... except for one strange thing here in the south. No cheese grits! 

I was surprised that it was not on the menu. Everything else was definitely southern cooking. Upon being seated and giving your drink orders, the server asks if you would like some biscuits. Fresh warm biscuits come out to the table, one per person, totally complimentary with a side of warm homemade applebutter. It was like dessert before your entree. The pricing is reasonable and the portions large. Free refills on beverages (something that other restaurants in this area are not doing anymore). It is off the beaten path on the way to Murphy and has become our new favorite place to dine.

That being said, I am tired of eating out. The youngest in the group was a 7 year old boy with gorgeous eyes and an unquenchable curiosity. He was apt to talk non-stop and on Saturday I made the mistake of telling him I would show him how to get down the ravine. My thoughts were to show him and give him a walking stick and go down just a short way with him. That little stinker made me go a lot farther down that I wanted to! I literally ended up sort of crawling back up and am still feeling the consequences of that!

My muscles are not yet accustomed to hiking a ravine .... if they ever were. I hurt all over the next day. Icy hot is my new best friend, but I slept quite well after keeping up with him! This is why old people do not have young children!

After the 4 day visit, the weather warmed nicely and I have been spending several hours every day in the She Shed. Progress is slow, but I have emptied and sorted several large bins. The thread display is up and all the ribbons and paints are sorted and hanging. There were several plastic containers of assorted things that had to be seperated and put in order. I packed quickly for the move and a lot of stuff was pretty much shoved into the bins where there was room. Buttons and snaps were mixed with screws and nails and sewing machine parts.

 That was time consuming to sort. Not as bad as the tiny electonic crystals I needed a magnifying glass to sort by type and frequency when we had the pager recrystaling business, but still tedious. Just about the time I think I have conquered all the bins with spare parts, I find another one.

Walking up the driveway I am noticing signs of spring. I have some miniature lilies blooming and I see the daffodils and tulips fighting their way out of the mulch. I am ready for spring. Just itching to start the next layer of mulch and get some seeds started. 

I planted some lettuce yesterday and put that container in my makeshift green house. My rosemary is still growing in my kitchen window and I started some basil seeds in my little greenhouse. I find the laziness of winter falling away.

I dispatched HeWho procrastinates to the tag office to register the boat and will now begin nagging about getting the boat into the shop to test everything out, replace the carpet and weld the hole in the pontoon. HeWho swears the "fix" he did on the pontoon is water tight, though how he could know that is a mystery to me! I will happily pay a professional to check it out to not find myself in the middle of the lake listing to one side. I can swim, but not that well. I suppose I would make it to shore through sheer will power, but I really don't want to!

My sleepy time tea is digesting as I am writing. Being well aquainted to insomnia, I am pulling out all the tricks tonight .... I may have spiked my tea!

Comments

  1. I tend to clean more when I am expecting people too, but mostly I get visitors that stay a couple of hours and go home again, so there is no worry about where to feed them. I started sorting stuff ready to maybe use it again, but came to realise if I haven't even opened those boxes the whole time I've been here, then sorting isn't going to make me get busy making stuff again, so I am going to just box things up and take it all to thrift stores. I'd rather read a book anyway.
    I'm glad you made it out of the ravine without injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never toss a box of stuff without looking through it! It might contain something I hold dear! Like my silverwear! I actually enjoy organizing stuff and listen to audio books while I do it. There was a moment when I thought I might have to take a nap before continuing up the ravine! I am now determined to have HeWho rent an excavater and make some plateaus and steps down to the creek. He loves to play on big toys and actually has some experience from the campground in using one.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree about testing the patched pontoon! Yes, many a clean house used to happen before guests. But with recurring sickness that knocks me out for weeks (sometimes with fever, sometimes just coughing) I didn't have the energy to do so when my 3 cousins visited last year. It was of course embarrassing, but hey, that's life! Glad to have spent time with them, and two meals out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it been my children I doubt I would have cleaned as much. My new daughter-in-law is apt to make me sit while she does stuff. Old people are held in high honor around her! She even told HeWho he was the head of the family and was to be treated like a king! I might disagree, but I am okay with me being queen! Remember that old TV show that used to come on in the afternoons, "Queen For A Day"? A day is too short!

      Delete
  3. I've been getting my garden ready to plant and bought tomatoes and peppers and seed potatoes yesterday. Your stove saga is never ending. Does the Home Depot not have inventory? they have to order the stove? I'd be tired of eating out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they do not have inventory. Being in such a rural area means that most of their inventory is in Atlanta and now we are waiting for Atlanta to get some in. I picked a very popular model. I have the slow cooker going, since HeWho wants to smoke everything we eat and I have tired of that. I have two slow cookers (one is in the RV), an air fryer, a microwave, and waffle iron, ect. This stove is letting gas leak into the house, so we have the gas off right now. I like the simplicity of an entire meal cooked in the oven sometimes. W always want what we don't have .....

      Delete
  4. You had me with "all you can eat fish and shrimp!" Forget that stove! Your intention was to show that boy how to GET DOWN into the ravine. I'm sure he could have found his way back up. You are too kind. I am relieved that you are getting the pontoon checked out. Better safe than swimming to shore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fish and shrimp was cooked to perfection and the slaw was so good! Not overly mayonnaised. Just good fresh food. Those biscuits were to die for! The kid went up and down several times as I struggled to the top. I didn't have to worry about HeWho trying to rescue me!! He just stood at the top and told me I was crazy for following through with my word!

      Delete
  5. I have lettuce, spinach, onions, and peas showing up above ground and waiting for the others to catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier