Searching

 The recent warm days have had me in my She Shed. Hours spent with the drill and jig saw, as I am rethinking my lay out. The shed is big, but space is still a premium not to be wasted. 

One dilemma is access to the lofts on either end. I have a ladder, but I have to haul it up to my shed from the tool shed. Kind of awkward, not that heavy, but if I decide to leave it in my shed, it takes up precious space. I am thinking to make some cubes along the wall in the middle of the floor space. I can stack them  and use them as steps, and storage.

In order to do this, I need to move a counter top and some wood to work with. In order to move the counter top, I need to move all the counter tops .... I am basically starting completely over. Progress seems to be slow. My drill battery died and I had to quit for the day. 

I needed my sewing machine for some mending and set it up on my kitchen table. Much to my dismay, it needs some work. I took it apart and clean and oiled everything. I threaded it and sewed the first seam only to find the thread wadding up under the stitching. I unthreaded and rethreaded, took out the bobbin and rethreaded it. A few stitches and it was doing the same thing. I think it might be the bobbin tension and I adjusted it. No matter what I do, the problem persists annoyingly.

This was a couple of days ago and I just set it aside in frustration. A new needle didn't help either. Having exhausted all the remedies I know of, I started a search for a repair service. Over an hour away! For the past two years I have lived without the machine, but now, knowing I don't have a working one, I want to use one every single day!

I don't want to purchase a new one. At one time I had four working machines. One straight stitch that I used for hems, mostly. Two with a bunch of stitches, one of them for embroidery stitches and a serger. The serger suddenly died without warning one day and I never replaced it, since one of the sewing machines, the one that sits in my kitchen right now can serge, too.

It may be more cost efficient to buy a new machine, but I really don't want to. So, with that in mind, I launched a search on marketplace while drinking coffee. Lots of machines on there. It is fairly easy to find a slightly used sewing machine. People buy them, thinking they might enjoy sewing, then realize the machine is never used and decide to sell it. I narrowed the search to within 40 miles and found quite a few.

The one that caught my eye is a Kenmore, in fact I think one of my old machines was this model. But that's not what caught my eye. It was the caption. "It works good, great for sewing."

What were they using it for, if not sewing?


Comments

  1. I'm guessing the people wanted to pad their posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to make sure everyone knows what a sewing machine is used for ....

      Delete
  2. I know you know this, but what the heck. Did you remove and clean the throat plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned everything, I have a tiny attachment for the vaccum and used it on the places I couldn't reach. Finding a reputable repair person is not easy!

      Delete
  3. It could be the upper thread tension, not the bobbin tension. Do you still have the manual to read how to adjust it? There may be online help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the upper tension, too. The manual has not been found yet. I am hoping to find it when I start unlaoading all the boxes after I get my shed set up the way I want. I still have a few boxes in the loft, or it cold be in one of the bins of fabric .... A second machine would be useful in any event, just don't want to pay for a new one. Just a straight stitch, nothing fancy because I know I could fix any problem. Online hasn't helped so far.

      Delete
  4. If the sewing machine was in a cabinet, maybe it worked great for piling clothes on top of... Don't ask me why I would suggest that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not in a cabinet, which is a good thing because HeWho clutters would clutter even more!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier