Measure BEFORE Cutting ....

 Dora, the turte is happy with a larger area to explore. She even has a floating log. My idea for a sunning platform is not working, so I ordered one and I can hardly wait to put a lot more water in her new home so she can dive to the bottom.


After hunting for a larger habitat and finding aquarium prices to be like a mortgage payment, something I no longer have and don't want, I found a substitute quite by accident while wandering around Walmart.

I am pretty sure it is meant to house Christmas decor, but it is narrow enough to sit where the old habitat sat. It is deep enough to hold many gallons of water for Dora's adventures.


Dora loves it! The old habitat was blue and she couldn't see clearly, now she follows my every movement. I think she might be smiling.

So far, we have yet to make a good seal in the hole HeWho drilled, knowing he had the wrong size bit. Swore he could "fix" it. He purchased three corks, none fit, then he decided to carve away at one and it is now crumbles. I thought of an ice maker hose I had seen in the tool shed, but it wasn't big enough to fill the hole someone drilled before measuring anything. I wanted a hole with a plug to make draining the water easier than bailing it out. I could pick up the old habitat and carry it to where I wanted to drain it and clean it. The new one is so much bigger, and heavier. It is 14 X 32 and 13" deep. 


Right now it is only about 4" deep and has a slow leak where the tubing fits. HeWho discovered the joy of a hot glue gun. It stuck well, but the leak is persistant. Then he used some sort of epoxy glue, making the glob of glue look like expanding foam at the bottom corner. 

The tubing is nice, it prevents the water from splashing when it hits the bucket, but, really, all I wanted was a hole and a plug. Simple. You know, buy the plug, then measure, THEN, CUT the hole. 

Comments

  1. Dora is happier, her mum, not so much. Geese, what a pain to go through! I hope Dora's smiles make it up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is currently propped up to keep the water from the hole. Driving me crazy, my not so helpful husband seems to think this is a solution!

      Delete
  2. I hope you're using the old water on your plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great fertilizer and worth the effort of capturing it in a bucket to pour on my gardens. When the weather was warm I drained the old habitat directly on the area of the lawn where the grass was patchy. Worked like a charm! Who knew turtle poop was so valuable!

      Delete
  3. The old woodworking rule applies just about everywhere. Measure twice, cut once. It's a good sized habitat and Dora will be even happier once you find a sunning pad and deepen the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only he would just THINK before he acts. The water is deeper than the old habitat as it is and she loves it. She will take food from my fingers, but she is so picky. I offered her some lettuce and she took it and then spit it out. She only wants the pellets for snacks and her main source of food is worms. LIVE worms. She likes dried shrimp, but only occassionally. The floating pellets are enriched with minerals and vitamins, but I wish she was more acceptable of vegetables.

      Delete
  4. Dora definitely looks like she has her eye on you! She seems to be having fun, swimming around in her clear habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have scoffed at anyone telling me they had a relationship with a turtle until I rescued her. She responds to my face and my voice. She likes Eddie and is cautious around Toni Louise, but she always ready to attack Bo. I would say she is very instinctive!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier