HeWho Has a Hobby!

 Getting used to being retired is hard. At first, you might feel like you are suddenly free of responsibility .... As inviting as that sounds, after the first month or so, it gets boring. Well, for me, it did. I was not used to just doing nothing.

Not that I was doing nothing. I still had to cook and clean and take care of the house and the animals. Laundry had to be done, the bed had to be made and the dogs had to be fed. It certainly didn't take that much time and when this was done, I was left to do whatever I wanted to do.

This was a bit overwhelming. I took a lot of naps and that was nice. I read a lot of books and that was great, but I still felt at loose ends. It was the beginning of winter, and I found myself sleeping too much and watching too much TV. The news does not provide one with calm thoughts before bed and I dream a lot.

Spring finally arrived and I was busy building a garden and found that I could stay outside all day long and it made me very happy. Rainy days found me organizing and unpacking when I wasn't at a medical facility for appointments for myself or HeWho.

HeWho, on the other hand embraced a sedentary life wholeheartedly. It bothered him not at all to watch me do all the household chores as he sat upon his reclining throne and looked on ..... on his phone. He looks at his phone more that a teen does. He sleeps too much with nothing to make him get up other than appointments to be kept. After a few early ones, he made sure to request afternoon appointments to accommodate his sleeping habits. If left on his own I don't know how long he would sleep.

I am a considerate housemate and very quiet in the morning. I will make a ruckus if I want him up. As you might know if you have read my blog for some time, Mr. BoJangles enjoys singing along with me. He loves to hit very high notes. Though I cannot see my few neighbors, I am sure they hear Bo with his very high pitched bark and singing. Bo can also scream. Since I am his example to follow, he sounds like a woman screaming in terror. It sends shivers down your spine. If that doesn't wake the man who goes to bed by 9 pm, I can toss Bo in the bed with him and add Eddie to the mix.

Eddie hops across the mattress like a rabbit while Bo licks the face of HeWho sleeps. Eddie just pounces gleefully. While I find this behavior charming, HeWho does not. But I digress, as I always do when talking about my canine companions.

At Thanksgiving, my son-in-law introduced HeWho to the wonderful world of scanning receipts. Chad has been doing it for awhile and I used to give him my receipts if I was with them. He showed HeWho loves his phone, how to download the app and then how to use it. Now, HeWho is on the look-out for receipts everywhere we go, hoping someone might leave theirs in the shopping cart.

He gets points that can turn into money, or so he says. He reports how many points he has acquired from time to time and I nod and make appropriate comments. Really, I don't care. I do give him every receipt I get and figure he won't make much noise about how many plants or craft supplies I buy, as long as he gets to scan the reciepts. The app is Receipt Hog. You have to have at least 1000 points to have any monetary value and he is over 800 now.

I was hoping for him to show interest in something more physical, but I am happy he has anything to play with beside his phone.

Now that we finally received the title to the pontoon boat, we can get it registered and finish maing it look new again. The seats are done and now we can have it picked up to get the floor done and the pontoon with the hole in it fixed. 

Or, actually fixed. HeWho fancies himself to be a fixer of all things bought this metallic looking "tape" and along with some glue has declared the pontoon to be fixed. This reminds me of the miracle stuff he ordered to fix the holding tank for the well at the RV park. It had a mostly dripping leak I noticed in our first winter in the park as I was hunting for a heater after the furnace went out.

After he messed with it and had a big glob of something on the area in question, the leak turned into a spray. Just a tiny spray causing me to alert HeWho fixes stuff. Long story short, this took an entire afternoon and as night fell I was dispensed to tell all the campers to fill their holding tanks so he could turn the water off. The sticky black stuff was all over the man who took his shirt off while atempting to stop the leak. We replaced the tank.

All this to say that I will most definitely not get in this boat until it is welded by a real welder. I can just see us listing along in the lake, with one side too far into the water due to the leak. Next I will find a slip to rent so that we can simply drive to the lake and board the boat. Watching him launch the boat makes me anxious ....

Comments

  1. Yes, all sensible precautions to stepping onto the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hobby would be wearing two life jackets while riding on the boat with HeWho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First purchase after buying the boat was life jackets, I can swim, but not well enough to get to shore if we were far away.

      Delete
  3. Now I have to look up pontoon boat and fond out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I know. Yes, get that thing properly fixed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier