Gifts

 I was told I would have to wait for my Christmas present until we returned form our trip ..... and that I had to "pick it out". I immediately asked if we would be visiting a litter of puppies. He laughed. He tells me we don't need more pets, that we don't want them to outlive us. What a pleasant thought.

I asked incessantly and then started telling everyone that he would be introducing me to some contractors and giving me a real kitchen!! I like to push the envelope, you know. I do need more counter space, my oven takes forever to preheat and leaks hot air into the entire house. Not to mention the leaky faucet that leaves me having to put a dishtowel at the side of the sink to keep my belly dry. I ride the counter with my belly as I wash dishes. HeWho says the faucet never leaks when he uses it .... both times he washed dishes.

So, you might be wondering by now what I actually got. There was a time, years ago, when my washing machine finally gasped its last breath and I was in need of a new one. HeWho is clueless, even though he should know me by now, took it upon himself to go out and purchase a Maytag for me. I had told him I wanted to go look at washers. He doesn't listen. I suppose he expected it to come with its own Maytag repairman. It was hands down the worst washing machine I ever had. It left lint all over the clothes. HeWho opined that the dryer would take care of that problem, but I do not dry all my clothes in the dryer, lest they shrink.

I regifted that washer to my daughter and she hated it, too. But it was free, so she took it. you would think this incident would have served as a lesson learned. It did not. He went on to actually give me a new refrigerator for my birthday 20 years ago. I turned 50, a milestone and Mr. Romance gives me a refrigerator. Samsung. It was a very nice three door fridge, but I ended up needing to unload the current fridge and reloading the new one on my birthday.

He means well and I had been complaining about the old one with broken parts. I have been complaining about my kitchen. The whole thing. I need more counter space, I need more storage space and I need a stove that has a functioning oven. I will say that the leaky oven door does help heat the house on cold days, but baking in the summer is just punishing.

We went out yesterday and bought a new gas range with some features I am looking forward to using. It includes an air frying feature and has a quick preheat and I am betting the seal on the oven door will hold the heat in. Four burners and a grill in the center. It will be delivered tomorrow and Merry Christmas to me.

The faucet still leaks and the counterspace didn't suddenly grow, but he did let me pick out an appliance that I will be using more than him, so I will dwell on that. Oh, one more thing, we will be getting an estimate on the expansion of our living quarters. This is a big step! We plan to double the size of our current dwelling. Still not big by anyone's standards, but I can make it work. 

Comments

  1. So after all these years you've finally trained HeWho. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but no. He is still digging his heels in about the estimate. I can usually plant the seed and let the idea grow until it becomes HIS idea. Retirement is making him stubborn!!

      Delete
  2. This is probably one of your best "non-living" gifts ever! My best gift was a rolly chair for my office. I wore the armrests off that thing, but it's still rolling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet I could fix those armrests! I probably have everything needed in my She Shed. Upholstery fabric, foam, spray glue, the real sticky kind that hold forever .... or you could cut a pool noodle into the right length, amke a cut longways and pop the pieces on. I am using a pool noodle on the top of the TV in the RV, otherwise it tends to swing out and back in as we traverse the side of the mountain. I am so very handy .... HeWho, not so much. He has been known to take credit for my genious solutions, though.

      Delete
    2. Ooh! I like that pool noodle idea! The plastic armrests broke off the flat metal part, at different times. Pool noodles would cover them just right!

      Delete
  3. It pains me to say Maytag no longer is a brand you can trust. In fact I don't know of one. It's a roll of the dice.
    Not a solution but there is a gizmo you place on your faucet to catch leaks. Sorry I don't do links but it might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Kenmore appliances when I was much, much younger. Maytag is not a brand I would ever buy again and that Samsung refrigerator lasted about 2 years, then the motherboard in it crapped out, leaving me with a giant stainless steel box. That part cost more that a new refrigerator. The salesman showed me a Samsung range and I told my story to him. It would seen that no comapny is reliable on all their products because they are all imported. Makes me long for the time that you would get a toaster repaired. America is a country of disposables. Doesn't work? Just buy a new one and let the old one go to the landfill. So we import crap and export trash! Sad, so sad.

      Delete
  4. When planning the expansion will you be able to include more kitchen space? And is the new stove a comparable size that will fit in where the old one is/was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The expansion will allow me to take over all the living room space in our current space for the kitchen and dining. There is a set of three windows we can eliminate and reuse in the expansion that will become cabinets and countertops, doubling the counter space I currently have and I will be able to use the old library table I found a few years ago. It can seat 8-10 easily when family comes. The living room space will double in size and the laundry will move to the addition and we can add a powder room, as well. Can't have too many toilets!

      Delete
  5. Good to hear you got a new stove, and will stay a bit cooler when baking during summer heat. Yes appliances these days are not meant to last...a real shame with a throw-away culture. That reminds me of my microwave story...need to post about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son-in-law thinks we should use disposable plates and utensils daily. I cringe because I can picture the landfill in my mind's eye. In the world of dishwashers in every home it makes no sense that everyone wants to use paper plates and even worse styrofoam! I don't have a dishwasher and will only put a small one in the new kitchen, just because I already have one in storage. I really do not mind washing dishes. I also compost everything I can. Paper plate that don't have a coating can be composted, as well as paper towels and napkins. You would be amazed at the things you can compost. Then I mix the compost with soil for my gardens. Instead of buying ground cover when planting a garden I use cardboard and used to use newspapers. I try to be cognizant of th planet I will be leaving for my grandchildren to inhabit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier