Prime Rib Diasappointment

 I awoke this morning feeling better than I have in weeks. I showered and even put on make-up. Eddie is also feeling so much better. I lifted him into our bed to waken the sleeping man and he hopped and jumped his way to the top of the bed to offer morning kisses. Bo had already jumped in the bed and awakened the master. Toni watched from the end of the hallway, declining my offer to pick her up and put her in the bed. She prefers one on one time with no competition from the boy dogs.

The weather is warming and I had planned to hike up to the She Shed and continue organizing and sorting. HeWho, having missed out on his favorite restaurant on Halloween was itching to head to Murphy. Keep in mind that he had his heart set on prime rib. I didn't say it was GOOD for his heart, but I did remind him that lunch was not a good time for prime rib being available ..... I suggested we eat a breakfast bar to tide us over and go later. It was after 12 already.

I suppose he is getting ready to turn the clocks back, then he will be getting up at 11am. Whatever. I went about the few household chores awaiting my attention. Every few minutes he would look at me. I knew he was thinking it was time to go. I finally succumbed and we left for Murphy, leaving the ever dependable Eddie in charge. They rotate turns, you know. Dora has never been in the rotation, her being a little turtle.

So there we sat with the lunch menu in our reach. The man was upset because there was no prime rib on the menu. There NEVER has been, although he swears there was. Immediately he was in a surly mood and I found it to be amusing ..... until he took it out on the server. Had we been standing and he turned into a cranky old man, I would simply have walked away and pretended I didn't know him. But, we were seated together and I could tell the server was less than thrilled. He ranted on about wanting prime rib, and she patiently explained that it was available on the dinner menu.

He looked at me and told me to tell her what I wanted and I asked him what he was going to eat. "Nothing, they don't have what I want." Had he been my child I might have excused us to the restroom for an attitude adjustment or just simply grabbed them by the hand, apologized and left. As it was, I couldn't do that, I couldn't yell at him, either.

So I looked at the nice young lady and smiled sweetly and said, "I am sorry, he gets difficult when he is disappointed. I told him it would not be on the menu and I didn't even want to come out to eat, this is all on him. I will have the chicken salad sandwich with sweet potato fries and he will have ..." I looked at him and he chose another NOT heart healthy item, a burger.

After that we went to Walmart, where I reminded him that the people could care less about ettiquette there and if he chose to act like a giant butt, I would smack him on the back of his head. We needed worms for Dora and a couple of other items.

I am worried about Dora and her diet. She is not eating anything except worms. She is even refusing them sometimes. The worms have to be alive or she will ignore them. She refuses to eat the meal worms, or the turtle food with vitamins. She will let it float in her water until it finally sinks to the bottom and smells.

She still taps her head on the side of her habitat every morning when she sees me and will even beg for food. I have tried everything she should be eating. Cabbage was her favorite, now it just floats around. Lettuce, apple, nothing. She is shedding her shell again and big pieces floats in the water like giant fish scales. I suppose this has to happen for her to grow, but it just happened about 6 weeks ago.

The vet must love us! Eddie's visits alone will pay a car payment for him! Looks like we will be paying him a visit tomorrow or Monday.

The drive was lovely, the colors are changing daily and when the sun hits it just right, it is breath taking. There is this house along the way that has black plastic on one entire side of it. It has been that way for about a year. I wanted to get a picture, but my phone was dead. It looks like they might be staying in an RV parked behind the house, but that is beside the point.

They have elaborate Christmas decorations up on the front porch! It all looks brand new and there is a lot of it. Perhaps they should have used those funds toward fixing what ever is wrong on the side of the house! I have wondered if there is even an interior wall under that plastic. They put the Christmas display up a few weeks ago, you know, like Walmart!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I bought some food sticks that were a little on the expensive side, but she is eating them. I bathed her yesterday and noted that she still has some scales on the bottom of her shell to lose. Easy to see because they dull the color. Kind of like cataracts on the eye. She was very active yesterday and ate well, so I feel better.

      Delete
  2. I also hope Dora's issues get resolved. I'm glad you explained nicely to the waitress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more for the benefit of the man across the table to make him realize how he was sounding ... like a spoiled brat! Dora is better.

      Delete
  3. Those people with the Christmas display would have me making up a story in my head to explain their situation. Things that make me go "Huh" just make me imagine scenarios that would explain why people do what they do; then I tell my story to my husband for his entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do that, too! That black plastic has been there for over a year! Maybe they have /had termites on that side of the house and thought they were "tenting" it to get rid of the termites? Last time we headed that way I thought I saw a sign posted on the front porch. You know, like an official posted it to say the house was condemned. I will look closer next time i go that way.

      Delete
  4. this is what I hate about the insanity surrounding christmas. it is not the end all and be all of life! it's two months away. don't know what to say about Dora. Big Mama just grew and grew. see if she'll eat a grape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is still being picky, but eating the food sticks I bought that have vitamins and minerals, so hoping that will do the trick. She is still very personable, responding to my voice, she even hissed at the dogs yesterday and nipped Bo on his nose!

      Delete
  5. Maybe Dora is just off her feed while swapping out her shell. Or the live worms are HER prime rib, and she's being difficult when offered something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't gobbling up the worms as she normally does, that is why I worried. She seems to be better now and is eating the food sticks I bought for $4 an ounce! Like you, I think it might have something to do with the shedding of the shell. Maybe she is having growing pains!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier