All Numbed Up

 There's no place like home .... We came home sooner than we planned. My broken tooth dominated most of my time and thoughts. You may recall that it didn't really hurt when it happened. We all knew I was on borrowed pain free time. First night out, I was awakened with the screaming pain that only a tooth can cause. My jaws were clamped shut and ALL of my teeth hurt. I had packed Orajel, so I stumbled into the bathroom at the foot of our too small bed and applied a generous amount to the broken tooth.

That stuff is nasty tasting and didn't numb enough, so I got back up and numbed my entire mouth and tongue. After I moved two dogs off my pillow and got back in the bed, I checked the time. 1:34 am. Could not sleep and began to wonder if I should have swallowed so much of that Orajel. My throat was also numb, I pictured the path the swallowed Orajel would take and wondered if the numbness would last long ..... it didn't last nearly long enough.

I numbed my mouth every two hours and was just miserable. Before Thangsgiving dinner, I partook of a muscle relaxer left over from my back. I was numb and giddily happy as I ate all the food on my plate. I paid for it later, as I managed to chew my tongue up! That was some really good food, though!

The trip home was equally disgusting (maybe even more) as the trip away. Bo did not get motion sickness again, but Toni Louise had an accident while we were stuck in traffic. Bless her heart, she tried to wait for us to stop and just kept turning in circles to let me know how eminent her situation was.

I just wished she had jumped off the bed we were on. Like Oprah giving away cars, Toni Louise shared her distress with all of us, except her master, who was behind the wheel. She even managed to poop on Eddie and Bo. Bo, I understand, since he vomited on her. Eddie was just trying to get away from her.

While the driver complained about the odor, I was busy trying to gather everything into the quilt I had on the bench to make us more comfortable. I did not discover Eddie's predicament until I had successfully (or so I thought) contained it all.

Out of paper towels and with no running water, I discovered some Clorox wipes. Despite the warning that it would be harsh on my hands, I cleaned everything she had touched, even Bo and Eddie. Nothing was so welcome as our driveway! The dogs recognized home and I was so happy to let them into their yard.

Today I am doing laundry, lots and lots of laundry. Spoke with the dentist this morning, fearing that I can't go another 10 days to be seen. They were able to move me up one day. I was assured that should an opening become available, I would be called.

In the meantime, I am numb.

Comments

  1. Yikes, and double yikes!! So sorry to hear about major tooth pain. And having to wait to see dentist too! You still write very humorously...the poor dogs situation! I have another big filling to save a tooth tomorrow (scheduled in October!) There will be more as my chart has all these little green areas that are cavities. Why are they suddenly there? Well, I only get an Xray once a year. So...the old one of a year ago didn't have all this work. Glad you got some relief from the pain at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still patiently waiting for the appoinment. The pain seems to be increasing daily! Worse at night. I don't look forward to seeing the results of the Xray and all the things that will follow.

      Delete
  2. This is awful. I hope you score a cancellation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far nothing has opened up and the weekend is looming large. Monday can't come soon enough!

      Delete
  3. Get yourself some clove oil, or cram a clove as close to the sore part of the tooth as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me about the clove oil, HeWho will be making a trip to the grocery today. I can only imagine what he will return with when he sees clove oil on the list!

      Delete
  4. At least you're back home. Poor Toni Louise! She rivals you for the award of Most Calamities Endured By a Thanksgiving Traveler. You've got her beat, though! Hope you can get in to see the dentist before that appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty awful, our ride home! Poor Toni was trying to let me know, but we couldn't stop from the middle lane of traffic. Home now and almost everything has been cleaned up and the washing machine has had a good workout!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry you don't have an emergency dental clinic close by. That's one problem with living far from a city. of course with emergency dental you pay extra for the convenience and the bill must be settled the same day so there's that. like Joanne, I hope you score a cancellation appointment very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to pay a king's ransom as it is. We do not have dental insurance, and I know he will be referring me to an oral surgeon, so it justs keeps getting better! The last surgical procedure was over $100,000! Medicare picked up the biggest part of that, but we still had a balance to pay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier