Vertigo, Not The Movie

 I am back, sort of. I was experiencing severe episodes of dizziness, accompanied by a nagging headache. I resisted a visit to the clinic for 6 days. My symptoms were getting more frequent and more intense.

Vertigo was my diagnosis. I have always felt like vertigo is more symptom than diagnosis. Whatever, I got an RX for Meclizine and am relatively balanced right now. Since I have been doing nothing much other than sitting on my diminishing derriere (if the scales are not lying, I have dropped another 5 lbs) and watching movies on Netflix; I decided to venture out to my dying garden plot.

A bounty of green tomatoes awaited me. 


All kinds of green tomatoes. Some will ripen in the widow sill, but past experience lets me know that most won't. I will be doing some research for recipes for green tomatoes later today. 

Before I went to my vegetables, I visited some of my flowers that will be gone very soon as the night time temperatures drop below freezing. 


The kalanchoe needs to be dug up to come inside for the winter, but they bravely bloom on. I told myself I would get to them after I collected all the tomatoes.

My hibiscus was to bloom and it just might today, as the the temperature will reach 70.

I was deadheading the row of marigolds I planted in the cement blocks that are hold back the rock when I discovered this dead bumblebee. 


Why did he die? Maybe the cold weather of last night came too fast, then it rained. Maybe he was stuck and unable to loosen his tiny foot? Or is it his wings getting wet in the cold drizzle. He is very dead in any event.


While gathering my green tomatoes, I also found 4 green beans and a lone carrot about the size of my thumb.

I picked the larger tomatoes first and then went to the side next to the ravine to get the cherry tomatoes. Feeling quite confident and not looking into the ravine I started picking the tiny tomatoes one by one before it became obvious I would need to bend over to get them all. Big mistake! 

I immediately felt dizzy, so I was grabbing the vines and pulling them off as fast as I could. It didn't take long, but when I stood back up, still not looking down the ravine, I made my way to safer ground and came inside. I was drenched in a cold sweat, nauseous, and my head was pounding.

I thought to myself, "Well, this sucks!" I dutifully swallowed the Meclizine and now I am slowly losing my motor skills, as I am very susceptible to any drugs. It won't matter much what is on the TV as I will soon be dozing in front of it!

My nurse practitioner wants me to do a round of rehab to give me the tools to deal with vertigo, since they couldn't find a cause for it. I have the bone density of a 30 year old and my heart sounded good. We shall see.

Comments

  1. I hope the vertigo passes. I have heard it sometimes has to do with ear crystals getting disturbed? and if you can readjust the crystals that helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She assured me that my ears were not the culprit. Maybe my age?

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Sorry about the episode where you realized it was about to start, and grabbed all the tomatoes you could. It reminds me of how anxiety can also be tied into other things...and certainly the headaces are no fun as well as the vertigo. Sorry you'll snooze. That's what that drug does to me too...so I just get in bed whenever I've had to take it. Not for quite a while though. It was kind of, let's see if this helps...and it didn't, whatever was going on with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help with the dizziness, or maybe the side effects mask the dizziness. I don't think I will take it again until bedtime. The inner ear is usually the culprit. My sweet dog Eddie has been having a hard time with his ear and just wants to sit around all the time. I wonder if he is dizzy, too. Poor baby can't tell me what is going on.

      Delete
  3. Good luck figuring out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that dizzines ranks low in the world of medicine and like I said it is a symptom, not a diagnosis!

      Delete
  4. I just made some fried green tomatoes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fried green tomatoes, but just how many can one eat? I do wish I felt like making some, though.

      Delete
  5. Kathy i have had good luck wrapping green tomatoes in newspaper and placing them in a bowl. They lacked the taste of ripening on the vine but still better than store bought.
    I hope you get the vertigo under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I would need a newspaper! I can only imagine what HeWho would come back with if I requested a newspaper! Maybe I will try some brown paper. I save all the packing materials in boxes and Walmart employees really like the plain brown paper when they package my stuff!

      Delete
  6. I'm old. May have already put this in a comment. You know so much more than I do about plants and gardening. Anyway. One year we returned in the fall from our summee in MN to find my cherry tomato plants covered with green tomatoes. Hundreds of them! Then, horror of horrors, a freeze was forecast! We made haste and picked ALL those little tomatoes. I got a package of brown lunch bags and bagged them up, maybe 20 or 30? in a bag. Put an apple (don't remember if whole apple or part). Folded down the tops. We checked on them every few days and picked out those that were ripe. I don't know if that would work so well with regular tomatoes. Good luck. And I do hooe you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know that storing them with an apple will hasten the ripening process. I would request an apple from my caregiver, but he likes to go big with things and might bring home an entire bushell, then I would have more to deal with!!

      Delete
  7. You need to get to the bottom of the vertigo! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! It could be so many things. The inner ear controls balance, but she thinks my ears are fine. I am hoping they will be able to pinpoint something in rehab.

      Delete
  8. Hick used to have a big problem with vertigo. He did some treatment where they hung him upside down! It worked for about a month. Don't know what eventually fixed it, but that's not one of his major complaints now, unless he's on a ladder and tilts his head back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bending over seems to be my trigger. If they put me in one of the chairs that flip me upside down, they are not going to like how freaked out I will be!

      Delete
  9. My mum used to make green tomato chutney and green tomato pickles. I don't have the recipes, but you could find some online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some interesting recipes, including a green tomatoe pie that mimics apple pie. Pickles, too. Sweet and savory. With pickles, one can always gift them out to unsuspecting souls if you don't like them!

      Delete
  10. I've had a few bouts of vertigo. it's no fun. one time I was fine when I went to bed but when I woke and stood up I very nearly fell over. one time I did fall backward after standing too fast, luckily my brother in law was behind me and caught me before I hit the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My balance and depth perception is off, too. I am one dizzy broad!!

      Delete
  11. When I get vertigo now and then, I take an antihistamine and drink a lot of water and its usually gone quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that, along with other remedies, but thanks for the advice!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier