$2 Project

 

Anyone know what this is? When I brought it home, The Patient was bewildered. I will give you a hint. It is made of cardboard and used as packing to ship something. He wasn't bewildered because he had no idea what it was, he was bewildered that I brought it in at all.

I was in the $ Tree to pick up some self adhesive shelf liner. Of course I roamed up and down every aisle. You never know what you might find that you can't live without. Or inspiration.

The store was being stocked and there were empty boxes everywhere. I get plenty of boxes since I order a lot of things used daily from Walmart and shipping is free. You didn't think someone as thrifty as myself would pay shipping, did you?

This was sitting in an aisle and I was inspired. It was in the stack of laundry baskets a worker was stacking. I asked if I could have it and she said, of course. It was going to be crushed with all the boxes and she didn't care.


Of course I took a picture of the side with the crooked trim. I am not quite done with this project, but the flimsy bit of packaging is now sturdy. I cut twelve pieces of the sides and applied them on the inside, then I cut twelve pieces of self adhesive liner. The glue gun was smoking!! I trimmed it all with twine. Tomorrow I will hike up the hill and peruse my fabric selections to line the inside and trim that out. I plan to store the various afghans and blankets we cover our feet with in the winter. Entire cost is about $2 for the shelf paper and the glue sticks, I had everything else already.

I will fix that crooked twine at that time because now that I see it, it is bothering me! The shape could make a lampshade, too. I love free stuff!

Comments

  1. I still save good boxes, and was known for recycling and upcycling in school. The young teachers pitched things. I rescued them. At first I thought it was a pumpkin crate. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would appreciate it! One year I saved syringe cases when I worked at the hospital. They are plastic and kept the syringe sterile. It was easy to collect a bunch in the ER with all the suturing performed there. I filled them with M&M's and painted the case to look like a toy soldier for the Christmas Tree in the Sunday School room of two year olds in my charge. They each had one to take home for their tree, too. They should station me at a landfill!! You, too!!

      Delete
  2. Amazing the ideas you come up with! The free boxes don't happen here. You'd think that cardboard was gold, the way empty boxes are guarded at our stores. People who are moving have to buy boxes; even though there are empty ones in store aisles. My daughter did find a way around it all, though! Go down the streets on recycle days, and help yourself!
    An aside. I started to say, "it would take an act of Congress" to get free boxes. Then, upon thinking about that, wondered what that ohrase even means any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Act of Congress ..... it has definitely taken on new meanings! Your daughter is a girl after my own heart! My son always calls me when he hits a huge deal at a store and then enhances it with coupons to get an item free or for a few cents. He knows how proud that makes me!!

      Delete
  3. At first glance, the bottom looked like a dome to me. So my guess was "the world's heaviest inside-out badminton shuttlecock." I'm not nearly as good a guesser as you are a crafty crafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best picture, but I can see a dome, too. I took a plastic bin I bought at the $Tree and wound the twine around it, too. Baskets look so much better than plastic for visible storage. If I had enough storage space behind closed doors ..... there would be nothing else in here, but closets! Before I made the basket I spent half the day in my closet purging. Anything I don't wear on a regular basis got thrown into a garbage bag, it will go to my niece. She can go through and get anything she wants and then contribute the rest to a woman's shelter. She works with government grants and such, so she knows all the places that are in need. The stuff that was well worn went into another bag. I will cut all the t-shirts into strips and make rugs. To donate, since my dogs think anything I place on the floor is a pee pad!!

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy reading your blog and finding out new and interesting things. But darn this pale blue type face...I'm glad to see Val got a bold-ness on hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The type face is black when I look at it. How do I change it??

      Delete
  5. I thought perhaps it would be a wastebasket, but this is perfecter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a waste basket, but it would work as one. Kind of big for my place, though.

      Delete
  6. I thought it was the packing from one of those octagonal upright fish aquariums. Good to know you can put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always brings me pleasure to make something useful out of what would be trash.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier