Road Signs

 While on the way to Atlanta, The Patient drove, leaving me to ponder whatever popped into my mind. The first part was in the dark. The trip through the mountain was dark and scary, so I mostly pondered dying in a crash on a hairpin curve. The day was getting lighter as we drove along and I was reading bill boards and road signs.

My Dad would have been reading them aloud and then making up a song to sing. I do that, too. The Patient finds it annoying, so now I just do it in my head. The first one to make me wonder was Elf School Road.

This one is not far from home and I wonder how roads got their names. Obviously, someone named them for something relating to the area. So, is there an Elf School? Who teaches elves in this school? How do you qualify to be taught by ..... Oh wait, do elves do the teaching or are they the students learning to be elves. I have many questions about this road that should lead to the elf school.

Another one we pass frequently is God's Glory Road. Is this the route to heaven? Or maybe a reference to the natural beauty of the area? Perhaps I should drive down the road and see. I am not quite ready for heaven, what with being needed to tend to the patient. What could it hurt to drive down the road?

When we were looking at the properties I had hi-lighted in Hiawassee and we had been on some rather treacherous roads, I saw a sign for Lord A-Mercy Road. It looked like it went straight up at a 90% angle and I was glad there were no hi-lighted properties on that road! If there had been, it would have remained unseen by me!

Makes my heart drop just thinking about that last one!

Comments

  1. Road names fascinate me, too, and I researched the township's road names. All the roads, it turned out, had first names, too, of the farmer whose farm occupied the majority of the road. I wrote a little essay for the township's web page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of roads leading up into the mountain with what is probably the name of the man who has a family living up there. Our road was already named when we bought the place, but maybe I should get my own road sign and call it Doxie Drive, or something to do with one of my other pets.

      Delete
  2. I would love for you to drive down those roads and tell us what you find there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be a nice outing for The Patient. Then again, we might find something at the end of the road that we don't want to see ...... like a hillbilly chewing tobacco with his shotgun in hand!!

      Delete
  3. Another blogger (in Canada) just showed photos of her family visiting many elves, and her family members wearing pointy ears as well. They went to some kind of fesitval with arts and crafts. And here you've found the training ground for elves themselves! Just must wonder what kind of skills they might learn! So I hope sometime you do visit the Elf school! Inquiring minds want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another road called Burnt School Road. I am assuming there was once a school house that burned down and the locals used that as reference point for so long, they just adopted the name. When I was growing up in south Georgia on a tobacco farm owned by my grandparents, we lived on a dirt road. Dirt roads meandered through the back woods and you better know where you are going if you happen to find yourself on one. No names, but a lots of turn offs going God knows where. I can hear my grandmother now, giving directions! "Well, get on the hard road that goes to this place and turn off when you get to the old so and so's place. After you pass that old barn that if caving in, turn to the left and go past another sos and so's place and we are just up the road."

      Delete
  4. I guess you never know what you might find in those hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know! The man with the murdering pit bulls might have relatives that also carry shotguns!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier