Garden Mystery

 Mr. BoJangles checking in here. Mom has been busy lately. I am not saying she is ignoring us dogs, but lap time has been very short lately. 

As soon as she swallows that vile coffee she likes so much, she is up and heading out to do what she calls her chores. Is she the only one here with chores? Us dogs don't have chores. I am not saying that we should, but I am very small and I don't know what I would be able to do. I like to run and I like to chase my wubbies (I have quite a selection, but my favorite is the squirrel).

Today was just such a day. No rain in sight and the air was crisp and cool. Mom drank her coffee, then gave Dora a fat worm. She put food in our dish and washed the water dish before filling it with fresh water. She said it was full of backwash. Backwash? I will need to investigate what this is!

Mom always leaves the door open when the air conditioning is off, so us dogs can go out to our yard whenever we like. I was napping when I saw Mom come in and head to the washer that washes her clothes. She took care of the wet clothes and put them in the dryer that sits on top of the washer. She has to stand on her tip toes to reach it. It is very high!

I decided to take a trip to the back yard while Mom was folding the clothes she took out of the dryer before she put more clothes in the dryer. I figured Mom had been outside picking up poop. She does this every day and she seems to like this chore, although I don't know why. She sings a song that proclaims her to be the "poop scooper". The little tune was in my head as I reached the steps leading down into the yard ........




OH NO, OH NO, OH NO! Mom's garden is her pride and joy. Who would have done such a thing? Mom picks peas from here and takes them in the house to shell them and cook them and us dogs like them a lot when she gives us one from her plate. Mom is going to be mad! Wait! Will she think I did this? I DID NOT DO THIS! 

I looked around to see if anyone else had seen the travesty! I could hear Mom, still in the house putting the folded clothes away, so I tip-toed to the door and quickly slipped back inside and then behind Dad's chair where Toni Louise has a dog bed she dragged back there. She calls it her private domain and she will snarl at me unless I am there to lay down quietly for a nap.

Toni snarled and I whispered to her about what I had just seen. She got up and ran out to see for herself. She was back in a flash. "Down," she said to me, "get down and stay down and if you hear anyone coming our way, close your eyes." Hey, she is good at this! She has sneaky ways. 

Eddie was on the couch, on the back of and if he turns his head just right, he can see us and he can always hear us, he has some good ears. We told him what we saw. He did not waste his energy going out to look. He said he believed us because we both told the same tale. He has been watching Judge Judy and now fancies himself to be a lie detector! I think he is just lazy.

We stayed hidden until Dad got up. He asked Mom what she was doing in the back yard. He said he watched her from the window pulling the pea plants from the dirt and taking down the netting. Relief washed over me. My heart was beating so fast in my tiny chest, I thought it might just jump out through my mouth!

Mom tore out her own plants in her own garden and us dogs had nothing to do with it. Mom says that the crop is over for those plants since they were not setting blooms and the leaves were falling off. She is planting collards there now. Have I ever tasted collards? Do you thing I might like them? 

The mystery has been solved. I will sleep better knowing that! Good night.

Comments

  1. I'm going to start planting my fall garden next week. peas, carrots, lettuces, green beans, spinach, mustard greens, and then broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage when the little plants become available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall gardens are iffy here, since the cold can come on pretty fast. I think Mom will try greens, such as turnips and collards this year, then maybe venture out to new crops next year.

      Delete
  2. I was worried for you, Bo. For somebody so innocent, your behavior screamed GUILTY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be true, that I looked guilty, but what would you have done?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, I am. Just for the record, I am not the only dog here that is up to mischief!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad the mystery of the pea garden was solved and none of you dogs had anyhting to do with it. I have no idea what collards are, maybe we don't even have them in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how collards taste, but I have seen them on Mom's plate before. Mom says they are very healthy and she likes them, but not everyone does. They are what southerners call greens. Greens are collards, turnips and mustard. They are leafy, but more the consistancy of cabbage. I have head that some people eat them raw, like a salad. Mom cooks them until they are tender. Around these parts, people like to "season" them with smoked pork, usually in the form of ham hocks. Mom leaves that part out, since the pork is loaded with salt. If they have a bitterness to them, a tablespoon of brown sugar will fix that. Pepper sauce is what Dad likes on his. Oh, you must always have cornbread with them!!

      Delete
  5. Me, too. I must look guilty, because when she finds something bad, she always calls out my name, one syllable at a time. She can be a little scary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier