Cooling Down

 Our nights are getting cooler and I wake to temps in the 60's. As pleasant as this is, my garden suffers. I have at least two dozen big green tomatoes on the vines. They need the temperatures to come up considerably to ripen. The beans are still producing daily, the peas have slowed down, as well as the squash. I only got 3 cucumbers from the vine and it is turning brown. 

As much as I love the cooler temps, it makes my garden look sparse and sad. I suppose today is as good as any to build my frames and cover them with plastic to create my green house over my garden beds. Since I found the electric stapler, this will be a breeze.

My flower gardens are showing signs of hibernating for the winter, as well. I now have four hibiscus. The two that produce the large white, with red throats are already setting seed. The apricot one and the red one are still blooming. Had I clipped back the spent flowers sooner, the white ones would have bloomed again .... my bad.

Cosmos are still flowering daily, but not as many. I have gathered enough seed to flower the entire ravine! Since we have stopped having it weed whacked down to the ground, I am noticing many things growing that I want to thrive. Blackberry bushes, for one. The ferns are a delicate green and so nice to look at, as opposed to the bare landscape after being cut. Just yesterday, I noticed that some of the zinnia seed had been washed down the side and they are blooming along with a couple of hosta. Now I feel the need to rescue them or at least weed around them.

This particular spot is really steep and there is a huge boulder sticking up out of the ground, maybe 8 feet down. That would surely stop me from rolling all the way to the creek at the bottom! No way I would make it to the bottom, as there are some really big trees along the way. I have not been down to the creek since Martha, the boy cat was mauled to death by the pitbulls belonging to the idiot redneck further up the mountain side. 

I lost interest in the ravine after my cat died, but now, as time heals the pain of watching him die, I am thinking that a tree house deck would be nice to retreat to. The Patient does not agree. This poses no particular threat to my plan, just have to make him believe it was his idea all along.

In the meantime, Dora and I had a nice walk-about this morning. Her shell is molting again. It looks dull right now, like it has a coating of something on it. A piece of the old shell came off in my hand as we were chatting. Dora doesn't say much, but she is a good listener. I told her that the discarded shell looked like a fish scale. Must have been insulting, she turned away. The tiny reveal of the new shell is bright and new. I told her how pretty she was and she looked at me again, her tiny eyes bright with recognition. I gave her head a good rub before I finished cleaning her habitat and brought her back inside to annoy Toni Louise.

Comments

  1. Maybe if I had handled Big Mama more when she was tiny she would have been not so skittish. even 35 years later she would duck her head in if I reached out to her unless I had food in my fingers. we finally got some rain, not quite two and a half inches. and temps are mid to low 90s. it's almost time to start a winter garden here. and I think a treehouse deck sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that Dora wouldn't escape, following her instinct despite her connection to me. Just their nature to go find water, even if they are in water. There are some very sturdy trees growing in the ravine that would more than support a deck structure. The Patient thinks I am too ambitious! It would be so nice to just sit and listen to the rushing water in the creek and daydream ....

      Delete
  2. 35 years, you hear that? Dora sounds adorable and attached to you! TREE HOUSE? You are always on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know turtles have a long life span and I have already taken care of that. Our newest family member has said she will take care of Dora after I am gone. She loves to feed her and has watched me handle her. I hope I will be around a little longer! Have to get the tree house going before my time ends!!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of a treehouse deck. As long as you have a safe way to get to it and back. Maybe you could put in a small enclosure for Dora to sit with you and share the view. The Patient might eventually deign to walk his cow-leg down there to join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would be stairs with landings and sturdy rails. There are other homes with such leading down to the creek in this area. If Hick were closer, I would consult him about how to build it. Alas, he is not, so I will just hunt down a builder with experience. The Patient has two cow legs now. I think we should just install a slide for him to come flying down to the deck. Maybe have a big net at the end to catch him. Who am I kidding, I would be using the slide, too!!

      Delete
  4. Yes, winter is coming, however it looks for you. Spring will be better, at least here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 52 degress this morning, as I sit here with my hot coffee, in my winter robe with a cover on my feet. It should be a glorious day here and I would just escape to my gardens all day long if I didn't have errands to accomplish!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of a tree house deck, but I don't think I'd attempt making it myself. I'm no good at that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hire someone with experience to build it. Everytime I see a ramshackle home that looks abandoned, I ask HeWho when he constructed it. He doesn't find me amusing. He has "built" things before that have turned into things that have to be taken down. I think I could do it with some instructions, but I don't want to! I just want to enjoy it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier