Waiting Part 2

 We left home early this morning expecting a repeat of leg #1. After he had been in surgery for over 4 hours, I started to get a little anxious. He thought he had a viable vein in his leg which would have simplified the procedure. Oh, ye of high hopes!

Finally about an hour later they called me with an update to say they were finishing and he should be in recovery soon. But that didn't happen. I left him in pre-op at 12:30 for them to start the arterial line, which is a sterile procedure and I couldn't stay. The anesthesiologist was doing this and said he would be going from that into the surgical suite. He did not get to recovery until 6:10. 

Dr. Ross looked as tired as I felt when he found me in the waiting room that had all but emptied. He had excessive bleeding that did not want to clot and stop. Well, that's not good I thought to myself. He said we could not go home as planned tomorrow, that we would see on Friday. He thought he might need a transfusion tonight.

So, I meandered over to the in-hospital Panera and got an over priced sandwich and a bottle of water abd ate for the first time today. Then I bounced from chair to chair looking for one that was not butt numbing. I ended up in a swivel chair in the atrium and pulled up another for my feet. At 10:30 I figured this was going to be my bed, but it was freezing cold. I took off my sweater and draped it over me. Finally at 11:00 they took him to his room. The nurse brought out the sheets and pillows for my cot and I lay down. It is a lot warmer in here, and quieter than the night crew buffung floors and yelling back and forth.

So, you might be wondering, why I am not curled up under the blanket sleeping ....... I had a hot flash! This is not funny! I am old enough to have that way back in my rear view mirror. My nurse practitioner says this is not uncommon. No, this is just wrong! I got up and walked around a bit, trying to be quiet for the patient, then I remembered that I have his hearing aids and he would not be disturbed unless a marching band came through.

I did not bring extra clothes and when I brushed my teeth, I discovered that I forgot my RX. Oh, I got it ready and thought I put it in the bag. I either forgot it or lost it. Being old, this could go either way. I will worry about this tomorrow.

So far, his vitals are good and the bleeding stopped and no transfusion. He is sedated nicely and snoring softly. I will try again to sleep.

Comments

  1. I hope everything works out, both for him and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting to talk to his surgeon this morning to determine my plans for the day .... go home and come back tomorrow or stay and go home with him. Either way is equally problematic as this is a holiday weekend coming up.

      Delete
  2. I hope he will be okay. Are you in Idalia's path at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are far enough inland and only got rain. I have two daughters in Florida, though that I was worried about. One near Tampa and one near Tallahassee. They got the high winds and rain, but are okay with no property damage. They lost power, but it was quickly restored. Our nephews in Georgia just got power back on and they are okay. Now I am pushing fluids on The Patient so he can pee in hopes that we can be released later this afternoon since he didn't need a transfusion. I plan to employ all my powers of persuasion to avoid driving through Atlanta at the beginning of a holiday weekend!

      Delete
  3. That was one of those days you'd like to forget...but at least the cot provided for you is something better than many "day chairs" which visitors have to sleep in when a patient stays over night. I can send some pats on your back or a hug for all you've gone through, the worrying, the hot flash (indeed, they should be gone!), even just sitting all day waiting waiting. Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely want to put this adventure behind me! The cot here isn't so bad and they provided pillows and blankets. Although it is quieter in a room, it is challenging to do more than doze between people entering the room to do their jobs. I feel better this morning.

      Delete
  4. Anything medical is SO unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has definitely been a year of unpredictable medical events for him!

      Delete
  5. Good to know that HeWho didn't need a transfusion, and that he's on the mend. And that this episode will soon be in your rear-view mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He breezed through the first surgery, so I was expecting the same. I won't do that again!!

      Delete
  6. Well, that was certainly an ordeal. Hopefully he will continue to improve and you can all go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. You certainly have been through the mill, too. I hope all ends well and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought the family has ore stress than the patient! I don't have family with me, but have been answering texts all day long!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier