Take A Walk With Me

 Come, take a walk with me. It is such a beautiful day here, nestled into the side of my mountain. Look down the ravine at that patch of fern, isn't is lovely? I hear the rushing creek at the bottom along with the buzz of bees collecting nectar. 79 degrees and a light breeze complete my contentment.

I am at the back of my house, walking along the narrow path between the drop off of the ravine and my porch.

I planted some sunflowers in the vegetable garden by the fence. The fence and netting provide support. See the two bluberry plants thriving there? One bush yeilded exactly two large and delicious berries this season. Just you wait, next season will be better!

My dog fencing has not been put to use to thwart wildlife. The netting seems to be a good deterent. Further along is cucumber plants. I harvested one this morning to go with the tomato in the window waiting to be eaten. A little olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh cracked black pepper, a touch of salt, and a dab of sugar poured over the chopped tomato and cucumber along with some crumbles of feta cheese and all will be well with my taste buds!

A leftover container is filled with carrots. There was no place to plant them in the raised beds, so ....

The thoughtful gift from my new daughter-in-law to be, an apple tree is growing fast! it was not quite as tall as me when I put it in the ground inside the fence, cognizant of neighbor's warnings about bears. I will share! The bears seem to be more interested in my garbage than my garden! Hard to see the green bean vines that have used the apple tree branches to spread out. Makes easy picking!

The beans were planted on both sides of the fence and have climbed to cover the top, making me glad the fence is only 4' tall. Other wise I would need a stepstool to pick them. More container plants on the inside of the fence with more beans and watermelon.

The tomato plants that tried so hard to die are now delivering fruit. I babied them with epsom salt water, banana peel water and dried cracked eggshells along with with sweet talk that seems to baffle Mr. BoJangles who watches me and keeps turning his sweet little head from side to side.

The strawberries were the very first thing planted in the raised beds Despite the barrier of wood between them and the baby green limas, they are spreading to the other side! The green limas seem not to care and are sending runners through the fence into the strawberry bed. What if they mate and produce a hybrid plant of strawberry flavored beans and bean flavored strawberries? I doubt there would be a market for that!

That is my bedroom window. Every morning I look out at the mountain peak and sometimes chat with my plants. I would say that I only do this when I am alone, but at my age I really don't care who hears me!

And that brings us to the back side of the house against the embankment. I walk on to the entrance to the porch and come inside for a sandwich and a short rest before heading back up to the She Shed to do some organizing and using my gained space to spread out a bit. Thanks for coming alng with me.



Comments

  1. what a lovely walk and garden views. I like that plants are intermingled...something I always liked to do. Beans/strawberies are at least ripe in different seasons, I tend to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am limited in my areas I can plant and get enough sun, so I have more research to do about pairing plantings.

      Delete
  2. Your hard work is starting to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. We are eating green beans everytime I cook! I don't like them frozen and lack the space to store canned beans. Fortunately my dogs love them and I use them for treats. They love carrots and watermelon, too.

      Delete
  3. Strawberries are just like the worst weeds. Leave them alone and they will take over the world. However, they are very much worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to contain them, but they are tenacious little suckers! I will happily harvest them and eat them!

      Delete
  4. Now I know that tomatoes can thrive on special waters, eggshells, and sweet talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just a fount of what my daughters call useless trivia. That being said, they do not hesitate to ask for my knowledge when needed! My grandson tells people to listen to me, I am old and I know things!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for a lovely walk and I even recognised a few plants. Sunflowers, beans tomatoes carrots and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking through my gardens, it brings me so much peace and worth every gallon of sweat that pours from my body!!

      Delete
  6. a far cry from when you first landed there. everything is doing so well. not here. everything is struggling with the triple digits and drought. can't water anything enough so now I'm cutting back things that are in near constant wilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Water is not an issue here and my stuff is thriving. The heat is welcome, as the tomatoes love hot weather. Besides, as hot as it and how much I sweat, I cold just stand over my plants and sweat water down on them!! It does look very different that last year and that makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier