Signs and Adventures

 The heat everyone has been complaining about has made it to my mountainside. We are still cool in the mornings, but the rest of the day is hot and humid. My energy seems to drain quickly.


So, I have been working in the She Shed in the afternoon after the shade has sheltered my little retreat. The heat is still an issue, but I have been able to put a couple of hours a day in unpacking and organizing the interior. The exterior has a new sign on the door that just struck my fancy. 

I have employed the free entertainment center parts and built a standing desk to hold my crafty stuff. Since removing the queen bed, a whole new space has opened up. More later on that.

Supposed to be hot and sultry today, so I am thinking an adventure is in order. Yesterday was a down day for me. Just felt pretty awful. A little dizzy and clumsy. My depth perception was way off and I dropped things that fell short of my intended target. I did manage to change the bed sheets and do several loads of laundry. Laundry is easy and non-taxing as far as energy goes. Folding and putting away is the most strenuous part.

Early in the morning found me in the vegetable garden. Three yellow neck squash, a couple of tomatoes and some peas made their way to our supper table along with some leftover pork chops and chicken. It was delicious!

This morning began early, since I had to have my blood drawn before my appointment with my PCP (primary care provider) for a regular 6 month check up tomorrow. I was on the road by 8 am. HeWho sleeps was left in bed and is still there now. Since I had to put makeup on and do my hair, I am ready to hit the road again to explore another city close by. HeWho is ready to try a new place to eat and I am ready to wander around some thrift stores.

After today we will be back on track for medical appointments. I am not sure who he talked to while we were on the road and decided that his surgery had been delayed. It has not. More to the point, I have asked them to call me instead of him so confusion would be mininal or non existant. He does not hear well, much less while driving with a background of road noise. He sometimes inserts what he thinks may have been said and this is when things go awry.

He was convinced that he would have to have another vein mapping session in Jasper on the date the surgery is scheduled for. This was confusing since this was already done before the surgery on the first leg and it was determined that no viable vessels could be harvested. The status could not have possibly changed for the better. He swore this is what they said and that the scheduling nurse would be in touch with a new surgery date. Was I annoyed? Of course.

The scheduling nurse DID call to confirm the original date and  pre-registration questions were asked. We have an appointment with Dr. Ross's nurse practitioner this Friday and I will address the contact issue with her. I don't want to be in charge necessarily, but think it is necessary to go through me to avoid confusion. If she agrees then they can document it in his medical chart, if not we will just have blunder along the way we have. I hope they don't mind repeating everything twice and waiting while he repeats their questions about his RX to me and wait for my answer. The fact that I mind seems to be a non issue for them.

I am not looking forward to another hospital stay in Atlanta, but I love Dr. Ross. He is an excellent doctor and so enthusiatic about his work. Pink toes make him happy, causing him to exclaim "it worked!!!" as he checks for circulation. It is good to love what you do, don't you think?

Now I will wake the one that sleeps so peacefully so we can get started on the day's adventures.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good day for an adventure! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would they harvest a viable vein/artery from? I have a friend who has already lost one leg because the artery got clogged and didn't pump the blood through, it's a thing that runs in her family and now there are signs of the same happening with her other leg, so I'd like to offer a shred of hope with information she could tell her doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like in a heart by-pass surgery, they need something to make a new vessel. It is common to take one from the leg of the patient. Usually a vein that is not necessary to maintain life. If the patient has no vessels that meet the requirements, a donor vessel is then used. In the case of HeWho smoked 4 packs a day and ruined most of his vascular system, a cow vein was used in his first surgery. Pig vessels are used , as well. To determine the viability of the vessels, they "map" them with a dye injected and x-ray the legs. For this surgery we go to Atlanta to a vascular surgeon.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I thought that was they way. Sadly, she has no viable veins and a donor one may be financially out of reach.

      Delete
  3. I like your sign. It might make an intruder more wary of breaking in! Good thing you navigated HeWho's medical appointment labyrinth so he's back on schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I would like for him to be responsible for his health management, the hearing issue poses a huge problem. Saw the sign and had to have it!! It captures my mood most days!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier