Charming Eddie's Cure

 The weather here has been wet. I heard the rain pelting the roof again last night. So much for mowing today.

The day began very early. Eddie saw the vet yesterday, then had to be back this morning to be sedated for a skin punch to be sent off to the lab to try to determine the best course of treatment. He did a skin scraping yesterday and believes it might not be allergies, but a parasite.

So, how did Eddie pick up a parasite? We put out granules around the dog yard, our entire yard, that will kill fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. We use Frontline on the dogs and monitor their diet carefully. I woke in the middle of the night pondering the issue. Only thing I can come up with is traveling. It is not like we can stop and disinfect the areas before they go.

So, Eddie is recovering at the animal hospital while HeWho is getting new tires on his truck. The housework is done and I am ready for Eddie to come home so I can hold him. He has come to hate the vet's office. He used to be happy with anyone that I approved of. Just sweet and charming, my little Eddie. Nowadays he tends to bury his face into me and refuses to look at the vet. He has been miserable for so long as we have tried everything to make him better. I hope today will find the answer.

The other two dogs have been scratching a lot as well, so if Eddie has parasites living on his skin, they do too, though not nearly as bad as Eddie.

The sun is trying to shine through the clouds now and there is plenty of debris scattered about that needs to be picked up from last night's storm, but I lack the energy.

HeWho and his pending surgery update: It has been postponed until they can get him in to map his veins. That will be early September, then they will set another date for the surgery. He did not tell me that he got the call during our trip. He says he did, but maybe he just thought he did. My powers of telepathy must be gone.

Vet just called and Eddie is on the way home with medication. Ivermectin. Not for Covid. For skin mites. He sent enough for all 3 dogs nd we need to change to Bravecto, since it is the only flea and tick preventative that includes mites.

A cloud is now blocking the sun and I think Eddie and I might need a nap.

Comments

  1. Glad you figured out poor Eddie's condition. Hope He who has successful surgery and you can get some rest. Hope the sun shines tomorrow so you can get outdoors and do your garneing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been battling Eddie's maladies since last November. They picked up fleas in the midst of that and it certainly didn't help. Now the vet says we should use Bravecto, since it wil also handle mites. I priced it at Chewy. $68 and some cents. That was not for a multi pack of the chewable dose, but for ONE single dose. All three dogs will need to take it, a $250 vet bill and now they are taking Ivermectin for two weeks. The bravecto does last for 3 months, but still expensive. I will bite the bullet and order it. When all is said and done, it is still less expensive than vet visits. There is not a whole lot I wouldn't do for my Charming Eddie!

      Delete
  2. I do hope the treatment works and all your dogs are soon happy and healthy again. Your mention of mites reminds me I need to get dusting and vacuuming soon, my place is probably crawling with dust mites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about cleaning, then sat down and binge watched Longmire. I figured it would still be there for me after Longmire solved some cases!

      Delete
  3. I hope Eddie is on the road to recovery, and forgives you for taking him to the vet! Also that HeWho gets mapped so he can start his own journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet's office now know Eddie on sight! So do most of the medical facilities we frequent. I made an appointment for HeWho and his ear with the appendage of the hearing aide stuck inside. I refused to go, telling him his ear was affected, not his eyes and he could drive himself just fine. I did ask if Amanda laughed at his predicament, she didn't, but he could tell she wanted to. She and I would have enjoyed a good laugh together at his expense. Eddie is no longer the sweet easy going boy at the vet's office. He clings to me and shuns the staff. I confess that I do enjoy my status with my dog!

      Delete
  4. well, good to know they finally found the culprit and relief is imminent. no rain here. can't remember how long it's been. seems like forever. and still too hot to be outdoors for more than a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie is looking and feeling better. His flaky hard skin is coming off and he is no longer chewing away at his feet. It is good to have his sweet attitude around again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier