Toenails and Toe Hair

 

Hi everyone, it is me, Mr. BoJangles, the cute one. I am sitting with my Dad. Mom has been trying to trick me into cutting my nails! As you can see, she was not successful. Mom thinks herself to be quite clever, but, with me, she has met her match!

You should see Toni Louise! So far she has avoided the camera. Not that she is very photogenic under normal circumstances, but she should defininitely stay hidden for the time being. I watched Mom set up for her attack. She had the extension cord out, so I knew something was up. Then I saw her get the clippers out and plug them in.

These are the very same clippers she attacked Dad with. She did an okay job on him, but he wasn't trying to escape. Toni is not all that bright, you know. She just doesn't pay attention unless there is food involved. Mom picked her up and was talking to her and petting her. Toni snuggled into Mom's neck and looked quite content. Mom sat down in a chair out on the porch and Toni was in total oblivion until Mom clicked those clippers on! That is when she attempted her first escape.

I jumped up on the couch with Eddie where there was a good view point. We watched and listened .... and learned. We heard Mom tell Toni that her constant scratching was making sores on her skin and that cutting off her hair would make it easier for Mom to doctor her wounds. Toni wasn't listening. She was making whining sounds in the back of her throat. I think she was calling for her master, but Dad ignored her cries for help. Dad knows better that to try and thwart Mom's attempts!

Twice Toni bared her teeth at Mom, but she didn't bite her. We ALL know better than to bite Mom! There was black fur everywhere. Even Mom was covered in fur. Suddenly Mom stopped and let Toni loose. Dad asked if she was done and Mom admitted that she was not, but that Toni had all she could handle for right now.

Poor Toni looked rather rough! Mom didn't shave her, but she did cut her fur very short. Well except for the spot on Toni's haunches that she missed. Dad said that now Toni is not suitable for public. That should be okay, since we are house dogs and don't go out that often.

Today Mom plans to give Toni a bath and straighten up her haircut. I hope this means that I will also get a bath. I like a nice warm bath as much as Eddie does. Toni is opposed to soap and water. It will be amusing to watch Mom try to catch her. If at all possible, Toni will hide under the bed. We have all proven that Mom can't get to us under there!

After Mom let Toni go last night, she picked Eddie up and went back to her chair on the porch. I settled in for the show, wondering if Eddie was in for the same treatment as Toni. Then I realized that Mom might be intending on haircuts for all of us dogs! Not me!! A lot of my cuteness depends on my shining coat of hair, surely she would not cut MY hair!

Then I heard her tell Eddie that she just wanted to cut the hair around his toes and then clip his nails. Eddie was not happy with this turn of events and said as much with his loud whine that sounded like "why, why do you want to do this to me, I thought I was your favorite". Mom put the toenail clippers to the side and kissed Eddie on his head and assured him it would make his toes feel better.

Better than what? My toes feel fine and I have never heard Eddie says his toes did not feel fine! Eddie makes a lot of vocal sounds when forced to succumb to Mom's toe maintenance. He never growls or barks, but Mom says he is getting out his inner feelings by talking to her. Dad says that Mom is just as annoying as Eddie when they are having a conversation. He turned the volume up on the TV. Mom yelled through the sound to tell him to turn it down before her eardrums burst.

I was not aware that ears had drums. Do they have other musical instruments, as well? Are the drums tiny to fit in her ears? I would like to see them. I am a curious little fellow, that's what Mom says.

Mom used scissors to cut Eddies toes hair, then she grabbed the clippers and quick as could be she had two toenails cut before Eddie realized what had happened. "See, that didn't hurt, did it?" Eddie disagreed quite loudly, then he yanked his foot away then back forward and Mom clipped into his quick. I saw the blood!!!! Mom asked Dad to grab a paper towel ... JUST ONE. She was telling Eddie she was so sorry and that she would never have hurt him on purpose. She help the paper towel to his foot and kissed his head over and over again. 

And just like that, Eddie didn't have to get his other nails cut! She let him loose and he went into our yard to pee, then come back in the house. She was looking at me. I looked down, refusing to make eye contact, but I could FEEL her eyes on me. I looked around to find a place to hide. Oh no, the gate is up at the bedroom, so the bed is not available. I quickly jumped over the arm of the couch and behind Dad's recliner. Toni was there and I tried to hide myself under her. Without all her fur, it was impossible! When she is furry I can blend right into her if I tuck my legs under my body. We are both black dogs. I have different colors on my face, so I tuck my head under her belly. This makes it look like she is just a very fat and furry black dog.

To the surprise of all of us, Mom changed her clothes and cleaned Toni's fur from her and got ready for bed. Today I am approaching Mom with caution, in case she wants to take up where she left off instaed of playing in her gardens. Thank goodness it is not raining! She should be nice and tired when she is done in the gardens!

Until next time, the cute one is signing out.

Comments

  1. Mr. BoJangles looks like he's smiling! And his nails ARE very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is smiling! Yes, those little talons are like sharp needles. I can usually cut two if I find him in a deep sleep. It takes days to accomplish all of them.

      Delete
  2. You can hide, but you can't run forever, Bo. Might as well get it over with! You know your mom will always get her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right. But if I simply let her win, she might just take me to the vet thinking I am sick. Mom expects me to be a bit difficult.

      Delete
  3. Good luck, Kathy. They do need cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently purchased one of those sling things that has leg holes. You can secure the animal in there and hang them from a sturdy hook, then clip the nails, as they can't get away. I am still looking for a good place to hang it. I don't want it to give way and make one of my babies fall!

      Delete
  4. You are braver than me, I would never attempt toenail cutting, I have a quick-as-lightning cat and would be torn to shreds in no time. I take her to the vet instead, luckily the vet is just up around the corner and down a bit, walking distance. It would be handy if you had a vet that did house calls, but how expensive would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a vet in Missouri that did not charge for nail cutting. She also euthanized for just the cost of the drugs. She was such a compassionate vet and my animals loved her. Vets are expensive here and they charge to clip nails. I will be able to do this, having purchased a contraption that will hold them aloft and unable to bite or escape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doggy tales tickle me! I love them. I bathe my cat and clip his nails as i sweet talk him. I fi throw int he word EAT a few times he complies for the reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet talk does not work on Bo!! Not even the magic word "treat"!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier