Waiting With Bated Breath

 Remember last year and my attempt to grow a few vegetables? Ended up with something resembling a circus in my front yard. I like bright colors, but this was a bit much. I put all my veggies here because it got really good sun. 

Like everything, though, it takes time to figure out the lay of the land. After we removed some over grown shrubbery in the backyard, I realized that this area was also awash in sun. So much so that I moved my efforts to the back yard with my raised beds. 



But ...... what to do with the blank spot left? This is the steepest drop area into the ravine. It made HeWho caution me everytime I walked behind the circus garden. I was being extra careful, since the idea of losing my balance and falling down this slope was not inviting. Furthermore, if my husband, HeWho has been known to laugh at me, were to video this calamity; I would be forced to relive it over and over again as he shared it with friends and family. Well, if I survived the fall, as I would be stopped abruptly by a large tree trunk, or even worse, big rocks and cold water.


I have been known to purchase plants that are on clearance with absolutely no idea what I am going to do with them. It is always good to have a few pots of various plants just hanging out when I am piddling in my yard. The area was bare ground and some brave weeds that I had been mowing while deciding what to do.

One day, struck with inspiration while pulling all the weeds and flinging them into the ravine. Why not those shrubs I rescued? Cinnamon bush and something else that escapes my memory. Two of each. I grabbed them still in pots and read the planting instructions. They would eventually spread and fill in this area, so I grabbed a hoe and rid a big area of grass and weeds. I dug the holes and planted them, then watered them liberally.


It was still looking unfinished to me, so I purchased some Coal Bells and paid full price! Oh the angst for me. My joy in shopping has always been in the bargain found. My sedum groundcover is spreading nicely since throwing it on the ground last year, but this needs mulch to look like a loved and well tended garden. The sedum will eventually spread, eliminating the need for mulch.


Then there was the maple tree I so carefully braided the trunks of three saplings and tended all last year. It is actually growing nicely and I am anticipating what the trunk will look like in a few years. The elephant planter was a gift from my baby girl when I was "collecting" elephants. I placed a terra cotta pot of pansies in it. This still looks unfinished, like an after thought. It was just a spot I could dig a hole and get that Maple in the ground last year.


I didn't want to dig the tree up and move it. I would risk killing it. So I employed the hoe again and widened the garden to include it. Then I planted seedlings I was nursing for just suck an occasion. In front of the elephant I planted Shasta daisies, a perrenial that will reappear next season.

On the far side I planted what seemed like hundreds of Impatiens that were in another pot. Then I spent too many hours carefully placing the mulch so as not to bury my little seedlings. A lot of stretching and bending and careful foot placement was involved, but I am finally pleased with this area enough to just watch it grow.


I ended up with a lot of weeds and grass and I carefully spread it out and applied grass seed. I even added some garden soil from a bag in hopes that the grass would grab on and thrive. Only time will tell. I have since mowed and think I see some tiny shoots of grass in there. The daisies are thriving and I see new blooms every morning.

I used 4 bags of mulch and made it all the way down the backside of the porch. I planted lillies and hostas there last season and they are filling in nicely. I am sore and achy. It was worth it to me, though. I love being outside and working in the soil. I await the blooming of impatiens with bated breath.

Comments

  1. Your little homestead certainly is thriving and on the verge of blooming all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to be sore and achy from working than from falling down the ravine! You and your breath will have to be patient with the impatiens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The maple tree area is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing better than being tired after working in the gardens all day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier