Stubborn as a Mule

 

The other Hibiscus I rescued from Walmart clearance finally bloomed. Not the same color as the one that already bloomed, but still very lovely.

My raised beds are coming along. I cut the last piece for the outside of the fence yesterday. I still have the inside to do, but I was out of garden soil and energy. So tired I didn't take pictures.

While watering, I noticed that one of the beds inside the fence has a bare spot in the middle. I know that the green limas planted there had come up. I had seen them, so this was a new situation and I wondered if maybe a rabbit or possum had entered the back yard. The planters on the outside had not been disturbed and the only way in would be through the porch as I still don't have a gate. You may recall that the gate exists, just hasn't been installed.

This morning I discovered that the culprit was none other than Mr. BoJangles!! I caught him in the act! There he stood with his paws on the fence, standing in my garden bed. "What do you think you are doing?" I said to my rambunctious little dog. I startled him and he jumped and scambled out of the garden and ran into the house. He KNEW it was wrong, the little devil.

Bo is not the only one to disturb my efforts at growing food. I caught Charming Eddie nibbling away at the leaves of my green beans. He loves green beans, sweet potatoes and peas, but I was unaware that he knew which beds held the beans!

Who knew my Eddie was so smart. Not smart enough to not get caught, though. I have been using my little chainsaw on the heavy lengths of wood. Progress is so slow with that tiny saw. The wood is fresh and very dense. I saw and saw until I finally get through everything but the thickest part. Then I pull it over to side rail of the trailer and whack at it until it breaks. I have to take numerous breaks and manage to get two pieces a day. I will be so happy when HeWho is no longer in pain with his back and can whip through those pieces with the real chain saw.

After I finally get a piece done, I drag it down the embankment and toss it down to my level playing ground. Then I have to use L brackets and screw the pieces together. Then I put a good layer of cardboard down and then leaves and twigs, then clay dirt and then garden soil. Not done at this point. I grab a crowded pot of whatever I am planting and replant everything and water it. I haven't lost any plants yet. Well, except for the ones Bo trampled. The green bean leaves are coming back and Eddie has the look of shame everytime we are in the back yard.

I shower, eat and then sit down and read blogs until I stumble to bed and pass out. Spring is always the most labor intensive, but it will be worth it when I am eating all those beans and peas and squash and cucumbers, not to ment that I have NINE more tomatoes plants I grew from seeds. I hope to have the frames for the plastic done by the time the weather cools and we can have fresh tomatoes until the first frost, maybe beyond.

Just to say that I may not be commenting, but I am reading. I would say that I am dog tired, but given the life my dogs live, it does not apply. I am more like a pack animal, a mule? I am stubborn.









Comments

  1. Both our terriers considered the garden theirs. They were not fenced out, and took any opportunity to snatch a green pepper or a cucumber. And asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that the dog who could easily hop into a garden bed, but won't because I had a 2 foot tall barrier is Toni, the largest of the three. Bo knows no barrier!

      Delete
  2. At least your dogs have a healthy bad habit! Exercise, and eating vegetables. AND the good sense to show shame in their actions. None of which are exhibited by my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be happy to watch from afar as your garden grows. I'm giving up trying to grow any type of veggies here, between the bugs and slugs, the possums and birds I don't have a hope in hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have netting over the outside beds and will soon have the same inside. This will end Bo's jumping into the beds, probably after the first encounter. I justhope the net survives!

      Delete
  4. My dog Gabe discovered my strawberry patch this season. However, the patch is pretty large, and I just let him sample them. I think he's tired of strawberries now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo was not eating, he was thinking the bed might be a step up and over the fence. He was staring at the great beyond and plotting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth