Raised Beds: DONE!

 

When the sun begins to cover my work area, I head back down to the vegetable garden. The next board waits to be dragged to its destiny. Five bags of mulch left to distribute before I will plant my new Crepe Myrtle tree just about where the pile of mulch sits. So much to do, so little time!



Back to the lower garden ..... Looks like a giant ant infestation!


Progress! The raised beds are done, inside and outside the fence. The netting is up on both sides and I can rest, know I have dragged and flung the last board down the embankment! Next year will be a breeze when it comes time to plant!


Still need to get the netting up on this side of the yard. The pet fence is still up on the outside of the fence, but the crops seem to be doing better on this side of the dog yard.


It all meets in the corner. I still employed the big green containers, but probably won't next year. The two huge pots of onions will be used in a different location next season. Probably with flowers instead of onions! Another portable dog fence in the back ground will go back up over the netting. It will either prevent a bear from eating my produce or frustrate it enough to make him want to destroy everything in the back yard. 

The bumblebees were out in full force, watching my every move. How do they manage to stop in midair to stare at me? Would that be called treading air? The netting does not stop them from pollinating the plants, but it does keep the birds at bay. The birds have plenty of other options in the front yard.

I love my crude raised beds! And, just like everything else in life, I finally have the hang of it now that I am done! My next project in the vegetable garden will be to set up irrigation. No rush on that, as I enjoy holding the hose sprayer in the hours after the sun has gone to the other side. I found quite a few slugs as I dug up plants to replant them in the new beds. Looks like I will be putting out a few saucers of beer. I also found some of the biggest worms I have ever seen! Dora has been enjoying those worms. 


There she is, on the porch. She has options, shade or sun. As much as I dislike the looks of her habitat, it does contain her nicely. It looks like a big blue dish pan to me. HeWho thinks himself to be wise in such matters ordered it without consulting me. I want a big aquarium. It would look nicer and I could create a portable watering hole that could easily be removed for cleaning. The rest of the space could be filled with pebbles and caves for her to explore.

I didn't see this plastic thing until it arrived. She tries to scale the sides and one day she will succeed and we will find her on the floor, hopefully before Toni Louise or Bo does. Eddie just likes to follow her and give her an occasional sniff. The sides of a glass aquarium are much higher and would prove to be a bigger challenge for climbing.

Is everyone thinking an aquarium will soon inhabit the space of the big blue plastic dishpan? I know I am!

Comments

  1. I think the aquarium is a great idea. The rest of the garden is looking great. I love your entrance with the frog, and those giant ants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drive looks very inviting. Even the Private Drive sign is classy. Maybe you should put some giant ants up there, painted to look like the real thing! Or signs warning of an attack turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon to a 50 gallon to a small kid's wading pool to the biggest one we could get to a kidney shaped water garden preformed pond to the 550 gallon stock pond. now 33 years later Big Mama is gone, either escaped or her carcass is at the bottom of the stock tank so I'm filling it with water plants instead. your raised beds look great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier