Bum Knee

 It is my right knee, my dominant knee. The one I use to put my best foot forward. I mentioned that my knee has been giving me fits to my NP. She lifted and twisted it this way and that way. Of course, it was not giving me any trouble that particular day.

I described the pain and circumstance that accompanied the pain as best as I could, suddenly mad at my knee for not hurting. I wanted her to witness my pain!! Anyhoo, she prescibed a daily Meloxicam and the usual warnings that go along with anything that stresses tendons and muscles. I took the two week course of pills and everything was going along nicely with just a twinge now and again. I would baby it and the pain would resolve itself. 

An X-ray would be the next step and there might be a very long needle and some steroids involved. This did not particularly appeal to me. I am not afraid of needles ..... as long as I am the one inserting it into someone else. Surgery would be among the last of knee solutions, but they would put me out for that. Of course I would still have to deal with the pain of recovery and rehab, but that sounds like a better option than stabbing my knee with a needle periodically.

Things were going quite well there for awhile, then we took a trip. We each have different responsibilities when on the road. I tend to our traveling companions, fetch food and beverage for the driver and keep things generally organized while the wheels are in motion. HeWho drives. He is not one to chat while driving. The engine noise and his inability to hear clearly can lead to some epic confusion when we try to converse. So, I sit in the back on the booth that makes into a bed with my computer and phone, directly across for Dora riding in the kitchen sink and surrounded with my fur babies.

When the wheels stop moving, I immediately leash the canine crew and take them out to sniff new things and mark them with special dog pee. We stop pretty frequently, as we need to walk around, as well. Since we are in an RV, we always park on the big truck side of the rest area. This was the scenario on the second day of our trip. I stuffed my feet into my rubber shoes and dog leases around my wrist, I opened the door to step down. Toni and Bo navigate the steps easily, while Eddie prefers a slower descent out the door. Actually, I think he might prefer being carried.

Eddie was taking his sweet time, his lead attached to my left wrist, the other two already pulling my right wrist to begin their adventure. HeWho was there and took Eddie's lead and I went ahead with the two straining dogs towards the sidewalk and grassy area. We were moving at a fast pace, me and my impatient duo. The toe of my shoe caught the edge of the sidewalk and I went down. Hard. I landed on my right knee, the leads left my wrist ....

Under normal circumstance, I would have immediately scanned the area to see if anyone had witnessed the indignity of an old lady falling on her knee. But, since the two animals under my care are apt to take advantage of freedom and run like the wind, I further disgraced myself by doing a belly flop onto the sidewalk with my arm extended to its greatest potential and slap my hand down on their leashes. Had it been Eddie I was holding onto, there would have been no worries, since he obeys me and would have come to my rescue, not tormenting me by running.

There were a dozen or so semi trucks parked with drivers looking out their windows. Did they see me? Probably, I am, after all, a sizable target. I didn't scream or make a sound, other than "ooph" as the belly flop knocked the wind out of me. After securing the canines, I looked at the sweats I was wearing. My fave pair with dashchunds down one leg and tiny bleach spot near the hem. No tears on the fabric, but tears in eyes. Did anyone film me? I hope not, but the thought made me start laughing.

This all occurred in a matter of seconds and when HeWho looked up from the ever present phone in his hand, he saw his wife splayed across the sidewalk with her left hand placed solidly on the leashes of the dog duo she was in charge of. He didn't laugh, he offered his hand to help me up.

Used to be a time when no assistance would be needed, but would be appreciated. This is not that time, this is now and now requires a multi-stepped process to get up off the ground. It is not pretty. First I have to get on my hands and knees, then decide which leg is the strongest before putting that foot down and then slowly pushing myself to a standing position. Even harder when I am unable to stop laughing. This always seems to confuse HeWho drives. He thinks I am not hurt if I am laughing (and crying). 

We went on with our exploration of the rest area. Many smells were there and my dogs left their mark many times. We boarded our ride again and I checked my knee. It was scraped and throbbing, but I propped it on a pillow and we ventured on. It has been stiff and painful since. Not unbearable pain, but just a reminder to take it easy.

Until yesterday. The rainy weather conspired to make it ache constantly. Then I could not locate the shoes I wanted to wear and just slipped my feet into sandals with a higher heel in the back. The combination had me limping through Walmart. I walked by the clearance ailse with nary a glance! I did hit the cleance aisle in the garden department and left with two lovely Hibiscus and some coleus for my garden. Rained all the way home and I settled in on the couch with my Eddie.

Problem was that I could not get my knee in a comfortable position. I was so miserable. I would get it just so and think I could stand it, then a sharp pain would hit somewhere under my kneecap and then undulate up and down my leg. I finally gave up on sitting and climbed into bed before 7. The rain had stopped and the sun was out and l longed to be out there planting stuff, but my knee hurt so bad that I began thinking a long needle wouldn't be so bad if it might relieve the pain.

Sleep did not come easy. I couldn't extend my leg, nor could I bend my knee. I had to maintain a certain slight bend to keep it under control and that still hurt. Then I had to get up for the bathroom. That was a painful endeavor. I was thirsty, but decided it would make another trip to the bathroom should I quench my thirst.

Today is much better, but I am walking and sitting very carefully. I get a little reminder twinge every now and again. I need to dig some holes in the ground, but the right leg is my shovel leg! HeWho pulled a muscle in his back. I suppose Eddie might be able to dig a nice sixed hole, but I doubt it would be neat and tidy!

Comments

  1. My long needle "cures" lasted about six months. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I don't want the needle, it is just temporary relief and six months goes by quickly!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps wear one of those elasticised braces for the knee (from any good pharmacy) for a few weeks and keep taking things easy. Avoid shoes with heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoes with heels are no longer in my wardrobe! I have ace bandages. I prefer to wrap the knee myself and get a more custom fit. My legs are, let's say sturdy, so the pre-formed braces are either too tight at the top or too loose at the bottom. Thinking to compliment me, HeWho once compared them to bridge pilings. Ever the romantic, my HeWho.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you took a tumble! I'll watch for you on the innernets...

    Hick had the long need thingy once. I am normally curious about such medical procedures, but that one tried my stomach. Seeing it go in wasn't so bad. It was the moving it round to different positions that made me queasy. Even the giant amniocentesis needle in my own belly was nothing compared to that knee needle. Which is probably something you don't want to hear, so never mind... forget you read that! And close your eyes if you get the knee needle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The needle is to be avoided as far as I am concerned! I have TMJ and one cold morning I yawned and my jaw locked open!! I was 20 and in nursing school with a long drive every morning. I drove the entire way to the hospital (clinical training) before I could finally close my mouth. One of the ENT interns offered to shoot some steroids into my jaw, I declined his offer! I decided it was bearable, though bizarre to have your jaw hinge locked in the open position. I am careful when I yawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pick up your feet young lady! just kidding. I do not like to fall. I even got rid of the two little rugs in the living room so they wouldn't go out from under me. (actually, I got rid of them because I got tired of vacuuming cat and dog hair off them.) I learned an easy way to go from on the ground to standing (easy for me since I'm flexible). hands and knees, straighten my legs into down dog, and then walk my hands to my feet and straighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yoga way is sort of what I do, though I doubt it resembles anything graceful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier