Vet Visit

 Eddie was not happy to be back where he was left undergo his surgery! He balked at the door and made me carry him. He refused to get out of my lap, in fact wanted his head on my shoulder to avoid eye contact with the vet or the vet tech.

His did succumb to the examination, but only if I kept my hand on his head. Kind of flattering that he puts so much faith in my presense. He is continuing to pack on the lbs. and is up to 19 lbs. He needs to be about 4 lbs. lighter.

Even the vet was shocked when I held Eddie up to reveal his underside. It is angry and red with welts and his skin under his coat of fur is riddled with big bare patches of white scaly skin. It is not a contact dermatitis, like would happen with grass or pollen. It is definitely systemic. We exhausted all the things that might be new in his environment. The only thing it might be is the food he eats. I ordered lamb and rice and got chicken in the last shipment. Might be because I wanted the healthy weight formula. 

I just ordered new food. Salmon and sweet potato. Expensive? Yes, but cheaper than constantly going in for a shot of steroids on a regular basis. Vet said to go ahead and finish out the bag of food I have. I will donate it to a shelter, since this is a 40lb bag and I have no intention of letting Eddie continue to eat something making him so miserable. 

Antibiotics, again since his belly is so raw and Apoquel for now. I do hope the food is the culprit. I hate the thought of him being on meds all his life.

Now, if only my maladies could be addressed as easily.

Comments

  1. I sure hope everybody gets their health back at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie is responding well to the meds and the new food. I am better one, then I backslide to coughing all night. Maybe I shoud eat with the dogs?

      Delete
  2. Yes, you all need to get back to your healthy, happy selves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do! The dogs are not entirwly happy with the new diet, but time will tell.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't considered the food, but possibly one or more of the additives in it are causing the problem, like me with artificial blue code #133, makes me itch, so I don't buy anything that has 133 in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vet thinks it is the chicken, says he has a lot of dogs in his practice with this allergy.

      Delete
  4. Poor Eddie. He must have been terrified, wondering if he might be left there again! I'm sure he would volunteer to accompany you to your human doctor, so you wouldn't need to be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he was scared. He trembles when he is afraid and he was definitely in fear of losing another body part! He is so much better now, but we still have to go through all the white flaky scabs falling off. He wold be perfect for a dog dandruff commercial!

      Delete
  5. hopefully changing his food with solve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too soon to tell if the food is the problem, since he is taking Apoquel to get through the current episode, but I am hopeful.

      Delete
  6. My dog was allergic to chicken in food also. I found the lamb and rice bworked well for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamb is what I usually get for them, but I changed to a healthy weight formula and it comes in chicken. I need to pay closer attention!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier