The Circus Has Left Town

Remember my vegetable garden last year? Looked like a circus and it was in my front yard. 



 This is what it looks like now. I planted some bushes from the clearance table at Walmart. Cinnamon bush. It is supposed to have some nice color in the fall. I had never even seen a Cinnamon bush until I saw them on the clearance table for $7, marked dwn 50%. I have already forgotten what the other one is. Coral bells in between the bushes. I am appalled to tell you I paid FULL PRICE. It hurt me, but I wanted the color.


Here is a better picture. I still need to mulch and I planted some Marigold and Zinnia seeds and am impatient for them to come up. I will harvest the seedlings and use them in all the gardens, then I will mulch this garden. I hunted down all the rocks. I am disappointed in the quality of the grass. I need a load of top soil dumped here before I reseed it. This is rocky clay soil.


Remember the Maple saplings I braided together and hauled from Missouri? This one is doing quite well. I will be mulching around this tree, too.


The garden facing the ravine behind my house is doing okay, needs a refresh on the mulch, but I had very few weeds to pull. The groundcover sedum I love so well is thriving. Next season it will take over that area and eliminate the need for mulch. I love this stuff. It will grow in the sun or shade and all you need to do is pull up a handfull and toss it down where you want it to grow. I am hoping it will creep down the ravine and choke out the weeds that want to grow there.

My peony is thriving. I have three of them and tomorrow one of them will be moving up the embankment tomorrow. I need a larger plant up there to fill in a space in the sun. If you look down to the very end, you will see an azalea. I am trying to propagate some new plants from clippings. I think these bright pink azaleas would look lovely on the other side of the driveway .... if I am careful to put them far enough away from the driveway. There is a very steep drop on that side of the drive that goes down to the next driveway. I am also trying to get a good root structure from a branch of Dogwood tree. If that works I will be making more trees. I can just see Dogwood trees lining the drive with azaleas tucked in between the trees.

As ambitious as it sounds, I can think of nothing I would rather be doing! This year, as I am raking up the leaves and small branches that fell I am finding it much easier than last year. All that work clearing out the woods has paid off.


What will I do tomorrow? Look in my bucket. There are several large clumps of daylillies and some yellow iris. I picked these up before we went eat our Friday night fried fish. Saw an ad on Marketplace and this man was selling these for $2 a plant. I wanted 10 daylillies, but he was generous with the shovel. So, for $20 I have a bucket full of freshly dug plants. They will need the sun, so I will be working up by the She Shed. He Who says he does not feel well and will be holding down his recliner .....

Comments

  1. I believe you get more good out of HeWho in the recliner than anywhere else. I want to point out that the place is beginning to show its potential beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about HeWho might be lazy! I get more done alone, but occasionally need the help from extra hands. He is not patient and ruins the peace I find in the gardens! If only he enjoyed housework .....

      Delete
  2. Bye bye, circus! I like the new version. The ravine picture gives me palpitations. I can imagine stumbling, and rolling all the way to the bottom. I'd just have to live there for the rest of my life. Too difficult to climb back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ravine is daunting. Since the death of Martha, the boy cat, I have not attempted to climb down. There is a big area that gets lots of sun and it would make a nice terraced garden, but without the use of some major equipment it won't be happening!

      Delete
  3. this is what I've been doing while we are having reasonable weather. digging and planting and weeding. rearranging, deciding this goes here, not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me, you do this alone, right? HeWho is annoying when he tries to "help". He has no vision!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier