More Gardening

 

Here you see what is left on the trailer, the big boulders that were moved to where I didn't say to move them and the pitiful looking daylillies I bought.

The woods behind the trailer are not part of our property. That doesn't mean I won't venture in and clear the under brush if I take a notion! The boulders were supposed to be placed further up the drive and not dumped by the garden bed. I had to layer more cardboard and then use the daylillies to fill the area between the boulder and the garden. I knew better than to expect the men to simply do what I said!

I gave the man with the plants $20. He was selling them for $2 each, but he gave me 27 in the big clumps. He also gave me 8 yellow iris as a bonus. They look sad right now, but should snap back to bloom this year.

The pansies are loving this cool weather. I rescued them from clearance and they were looking so sad in the dry dirt in their tiny pots. I deadheaded them and gave them a big drink of water the night before planting them. Too bad they are annuals and won't reseed themselves.


You can see that all my mulching efforts meant to hide that soaker hose were for wasted. I think I might have a solution. In the meantime the lavender I planted last season is coming back. I really didn't expect it too. I almost yanked it out of the ground, but decided to wait a bit.

You saw all that wood on the trailer. I have more than I need for the raised beds. As soon as I can make HeWho chainsaws understand what I want, I will be using them in the gardens down the drive. I want to slice them down the middle long wise, leaving a flat surface on one side. I think they would look a lot better than the limbs and small trees I am currently using. I will draw a picture for HeWho.

I can use them to terrace the steeper parts of the garden and run the soaker hoses beside them, then the mulch won't wash away.


I will replace these pieces of wood with the split trees on the trailer. There was a big clump of purple lillies planted next to the propane tank when we moved in. I dug it up and moved it up the drive, after splitting it in half. I got 10 plants out of the half and planted them here. The daylillies are orange, then as you descend the drive you will see the yellow iris, then the purple iris, then yellow daylillies. The shade starts after that and the pansies will take you to my steps up to my She Shed. Then there is shade down to my carport. I noticed some elephant ears starting to come through the ground, the hostas are up, too. I plant some juniper on the side of the embankment that should cover it in a few years.

Now I will start loading the RV for the trip north. The dogs are excited as they see me taking stuff out the door to put in the RV. They stand watching me from the porch ..... they KNOW!

There will be a trip to buy mulch upon our return and the work will start again. I can hardly wait!




Comments

  1. I like the wood pieces that are already in place and won't they look better as they age and weather? Maybe you have another use for them though. Steps to the She Shed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the wood, too, but I want all the edging to be the same material and I am sure I will find other chores for the wood somewhere in my gardens. Steps to the Shed is food for thought, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I am relieved that you have a rock behind your trailer tire. Yesterday's picture with your wagon made it look like that wagon was poised for a ride down into the ravine! You are taming the wilderness. Hope the dogs enjoy the trip they are already anticipating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer would be stopped by the She Shed, but would probably cause a lot of damage. The area up on the embankment where my shed is doesn't look like it slopes to the degree that it does. We are on the way home. In an RV park, so the dogs feel right at home. They aren't fond of the leashes but know to stand and wait to be hooked up. Eddie just charmed the owner of this park, while Bo barked visciously and Tony just stared at her. Bo encountered his very first goose in my son's back yard, it was quite a trip so far. My son's granddaughter's rottweiler bit me! He was laying his head in my lap and was fine until he suddenl bit my hand. I think my hand may have een on his face and he didn't like it. My hand is very sore, swollen and bruised. He broke the skin in four places. My son freaked out and yelled at Zeus, but he let go immediately. Nothing like a good jolt of adrenaline to start a visit! Jeff's step-daughter and her daughter lived with them in a house that the step-daughter just bought. My new daughter-in-law didn't want to live in the house he had shared with his ex-wife. Alondra is 8 and just the most polite and well behaved child. A very sweet child who loves animals. Her father bought the dog before they divorced and then decided to have the dog put down. Alondra was devastated, so my son took the dog into his house before the other house was purchased. I was careful to have treats in my pocket before I entered the house. I think the father of Alondra must have abused the dog. I ignored him for an entire day and he kept trying to push his big head into my lap. He was trying to say he was sorry. He could have taken my hand off had he really wanto hurt me. I am rambling .....

      Delete
  3. sounds like a good plan. I gave up on soaker hoses as the ground only got wet 3 or 4 inches on either side of the hose and then they clogged up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My soaker hoses seem to work well, but it could be that gravity helps a lot. I use a regular sprinkler at least once a week unless we have a good rain. I have left the soakers on all night with just a trickle of water coming out of the hydrant and it didn't flood the area, but kept it moist.

      Delete
  4. Do you have trouble with ticks there? They are really bad in Missouri this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more ticks when we lived in Mssouri. I spread a layer of tick, flea and mosquito killer on the ground at the edge of our property. My dogs didn't get ticks last season and I only found one on me while clearing the heavy underbrush.

      Delete
  5. you have a loveof nature in your soul and a vision of how you want things in your head. i hate to tellyou what you already know: even if you draw them a picture... Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just act it out like a mime. We are on the first leg back to home and I am anxious to see my gardens after being gone a week. My main concern is all the critters that can demolish all my work, but I have nets and fences and hope for the best. HeWho has low standards for curb appeal!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier