Days Mixed Up

 I woke this morning and treated myself to a lone cup of coffee. I want more, but it makes my heart skip beats and that makes me feel horrible and weak. In my younger days I could down an entire pot. Those were the good old days!

So, as I sat sipping, I contemplated the day before me. The sun is shining and it is aready 50 degrees and forecasted for low 60's. T-shirt weather for me! I was making a mental list of all my chores and what to pull from the freezer for supper ......

I was struck by panic!! Today is Sunday, isn't it? My new fridge is coming today and I have yet to unload the old one!! Or clear the path for the men bringing it! I gulped down the remaining coffee and rushed to the shower. I had seen myself in the mirror an my hair was sticking out at odd angles. I looked liked a deranged person! While this is okay for HeWho rarely notices what I look like, it is not okay for strangers. I do not want to be a topic of conversation for the men coming with my fridge.

After drying myself, I took the necessary two steps into my bedroom to clothe myself and awakened HeWho fancies himself to be the king of our universe. I had to almost shout since the hearing aids that he claims don't work were dangling form the chargers in the bathroom. OUR NEW FRIDGE IS COMING TODAY AND WE HAVE TO CLEAR A SPOT!

He looks at me and then says "what?" I repeated my shout and he looks at me calmly and tells me it is Saturday and we have plenty of time. I check my phone and discover that he is right (a rare occurance). I apologize for rousing him and despite the fact that it is approaching the 10 o'clock hour, he simply rolls over and goes back to sleep. I envy his ability to fall into sleep after a disturbance and finish dressing. 

I thought about getting straight to work, but decide I should wait for HeWho procrastinates to join me in the fun of moving things around our tiny space. Why should I have all the fun? I actually prefer him to stay in bed while I consider, then rearrange the room. I will need to pull his beloved recliner to the middle of the room to accomplish my plan and he would just be in the way, sighing deeply because he can't sit and recline after his 12-14 hours in bed.

So, as soon as I finish this post I will be working the magic of fitting more things in less space. Our fridge is still working, but I don't have enough freezer space. We thought about getting a chest type freezer, but I am short and when something is in the very bottom it requires me to bend over the side to grasp it and pull it out. This leads to leaving the bottom items to freezer burn or me nearly falling into the freezer.

We priced the stand-up freezers and decided to just get a new refrigerator and put the old one on the porch. Who can't use more refrigerator space? The RV is plugged in and the small freezer is currently full. This requires a trip out to the carport, which is not attached to the house, is in fact bigger than the house; to retrieve items to cook. On a cold, rainy windy day, this is not the optimal situation.

So now I must leave you to ponder this as I clear the paths for the new and the old. I leave you with one obscure fact that I just now thought of. Why is there a 'd' in the word 'fridge', but not in the word 'refrigerator'. Ponder that.

Comments

  1. Believe it or not, I have always wondered about the word "Fridge".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about a lot of our words! Being in grade school and going back and forth from Virginia to Georgia at the whim of the US Navy, the dialects changed. Each region has different words that wolde confusing for someone trying to learn our language.

      Delete
  2. Here's another short person problem: getting clothes out of the washer and dryer. Both are very large here and I almost fall into the washers. I've solved the dryer: I use my cane to pull it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dryer is stacked on top of the washer and I find myself using the tongs from the kitche to reached errant socks I can't reach. Somewhere I have a "grabber" given to me by HeWho as a joke about my stature. Must be in the elusive box holding my lost cutlery!

      Delete
  3. For a chest freezer I have a few friends who use their "high-shelf-grabbers" to get things from the bottom of their chest freezers. I don't have one because I do not have the space for it, I kame do with the small freezer under the fridge. but if I did have room I would get a full size upright freezer like the one we used to have, a side-by-side combo like both of my daughters now have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'kame'? that should be "make"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find those grabbers to be useful on lightweight items, well, I did in our previous residence ,,,, another iem I can't locate! My space for a refrigerator is too small for a side by side. I would prefer that, but I an only accommodate 30". With the old fridge going on the porch, I should have enough freezer space,

    ReplyDelete
  6. My arms aren't long enough to reach the back of the dryer. i feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth