Traumatic Event for Me and Eddie!

 You might recall my recent battle with the grater and the frozen chicken breast. My finger is still healing and looks like I will have two small indents where the skin used to have a bit of flesh under it.

So .... one would think that I would be a bit more careful in the future with the grater. I do have a food processor and should make more use of it. It would involve the stepstool and rearranging other appliances not used on a daily basis. I needed to grate a couple of carrots to make a small loaf sized carrot cake. I was excited to have found this recipe and went about preparation to get this in the oven.

I did think about the food processor, but it was only two big carrots and I could have them grated before I could even get the processor down. I could be careful ...... Yes, you guessed it, I filleted the side of my pinkie finger, same hand, my right hand. This one went a lot deeper and really hurts!

This time, it left the piece of flesh dangling from my finger, so I quickly taped it back where it was supposed to be with a bandaid. The cake was delicious, by the way. I used golden raisins to fool The Patient. He likes them, just not the brown raisins. Whatever you say, dear.

While I was making this cake, Eddie was resting on the sofa after his recent traumatic event. Bo was at my feet hoping I would drop a few morsels.

Eddie was not traumatized by the removal of his testicles or th cleaning of his teeth. His trauma was being left there and then not being there when he came out of the anesthesia. While Eddie was at the Dog Trauma Center, we went out to take care of some chores, while the other dogs were left to wonder where their brother was.

We got a call when the procedure was over at about 11:30 am. She said he was still very sleepy and they wanted to watch him as long as possible, so pick-up would be between 3 and 5. Preferably closer to 5. 

We finished our grocery shopping and headed home. Just as were were about to enter our driveway, the vet's office called again. Seems Eddie was done with their hospitality and could not be calmed down. He wasn't barking or growling, or even whining. He was "talking". Eddie has a very deep and loud "voice" and was disturbing all the other animals in recovery, not to mention the staff. They made every effort to calm him, but he wanted me. As soon as he saw me, he was fine.

Is it bad that I enjoyed the fact that I am the only one to calm this sweet boy? I don't care! Since losing Cujo, Eddie has bonded even closer to me. Almost like he knew that his love would heal my broken heart. I love all my dogs, but this one is special. He is such a sweet and calming presence in my life.

Comments

  1. "Unconditional" means just that to animals. So get yourself back there, Mama cutall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have stayed during the procedure if they had let me!

      Delete
  2. Stop doing that! It's OK to leave a nub of whatever you are grating. I only have the one dog but she is my constant companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My chore today is to find a more accessible location for the food processor. Biggest problem is that the depth of my cabinets (and the height) is less than standard making it difficult to fit appliances and even some plates! Counter top is so full already that I barely have any prep space! Not to worry, though, my wounds will further reinforce my campaign for an addition and re-do of the kitchen. I make use of eerything!!

      Delete
  3. Yikes! You better put the food processer on the counter.
    Poor Eddie. I can hear that little doll boy "talking", as our cat does that, too. He was probably so relieved to see his mama. I bet you two were stuck like glue for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His little face lit up and he was so happy to be in my arms. H was able to nap the rest of the day away, knowing I was right there. He is so spoiled, but remains UNspoiled, if you know what I mean. For the past three nights, I have gotten up to prepare a bowl of water and carry it to the bed for him to drink at 3 am. I remember how thirsty I was after surgery and figured he was, too. I hope he won't expect this behavior from others if I die before him! Food processor won't fit on my meager counter space ......

      Delete
  4. Just the thought of a dangling piece of flesh pains me! Poor Eddie. The separation was worse than the operation, I think. He deserves a bit of spoiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still sore! It occured to me hat Eddie has never been left at the vet without a sibling. He was definitely unhappy and deyermined to let everyone know!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier