Hat Trick Happened

 

Hi, it is me, Eddie, the voice of the canines here on the mountainside. Things have been a little crazy here this year! The year has just started and already things are happening that have never happened before. Our Dad was sick for such a long time and our Mom was gone a lot to see him in the hospital.

It was a very stressful time for me! Mom asked me to be in charge everytime she left. No turns to take with my two siblings. I know it was because Mom can trust me to be the voice of reason, and I truly embraced my job to the best of my ability. It wasn't easy trying to reason with the other two, but I tried.

Since Dad has been home from the hospital he sleeps a lot. Mom says he sleeps more than us dogs! Why that is a bad thing, I do not know. I think sleep is good for the soul, as well as refreshing for the body. We took a trip with Mom and Dad in the RV. Mom raved about holding babies. I don't get it. I thought I was her baby!

So, we woke this morning, as usual. Bo stared Mom awake and then started growling while she lifted me down to the floor, then we both ran down the hall and waited for her to move the gate. Bo ran outside as soon as Mom opened the door and I stayed in with Mom and followed her to the bathroom. Our water dish is there, so I drank my morning water while she took care of her business.

Mom made coffee and stood drinking it at the sink in the kitchen ..... something was up. She usually pulls some socks onto here feet and cuddles with me on the couch while she drinks her coffee and looks at her computer. But she went to the shower and was still in there when Dad got up and got dressed.

I wondered where Dad might be going. I knew Mom would be going with him. Why else would she be in the shower? She dried her hair and put on make-up, too. I was right. When Mom puts on make-up and says she doesn't want to scare the natives with a naked face, I know she is going somewhere. Maybe Dad has to go see a doctor again?

But, then, I heard her tell Dad to put the harness on Toni Louise. Bo and I favor our choke chains, very masculine attire for us boy dogs. We look buff! Mom came out all dressed and grabbed the leashes.

Looks like we are all going somewhere. I heard them speak of an appointment time and Mom said we had plenty of time to get there. Get where, I wondered. Soon we were pulling into a parking lot and getting out of the car. This place looked familiar to me, but it wasn't until I walked over to the tiny grassy area and sniffed that I remembered where I was. The dog doctor building. I smelled my own scent mingled with that of a thousand other dogs.

We all got weighed and Dad thinks I am fat! I only gained 1/2 pound since my last visit, I'll have him know! Then Toni got on the scales and it took more than a minute to get her to stand still. She weighs the most. Over 20 lbs! But Mom was so surprised when Bo got his turn. He weighs 13 pounds! She told the vet that Bo's dog-mom weighed only 4 lbs! And his dog-dad was even smaller! So why does Bo weigh so much? Nobody knows!

As we were about to enter the exam room, a Basset Hound came in the office. So far we had only seen cats in carriers and Bo had barked at everyone and the cat carriers. Toni and I maintained our dignity until that Basset Hound arrived. Of course we barked at that dog ..... it is our job!

The vet was one I had not met, but he was very nice and asked me to go back with him first. I hesitated when I realized that my Mom would not be accompaning me. The assistant had to pick me up and carry me. When I decide not to walk, I do not walk, and the options were to drag me by the leash or pick me up.

She may have carried me in her arms, but I walked back. I got a lot of shots and I was so upset about the abscense of my Mom, I pooped on the exam table and then sat in it! I was mortified, but the assistant washed me off and then put me down on the floor. Was she afraid of wet dog smell?

Toni was next. Get this: she likes to go to the vet! She had never been here before, but she followed the assistant like she was holding a treat (she wasn't, but they might want to consider emplementing this as a new policy).

Bo went last and he growled low in the back of his throat, just to let them know he was not up for any shenanigans. Bo used to get car sick and vomit all over himself. I am happy to report that he has outgrown that foolish habit! But, when Bo came back we learned that he had pooped on the exam table, as well. He chose not to sit in it, though.

Toni was making fun of both of us and we went out to the waiting room so Dad could pay and get the results of our heartworm tests. Toni got excited about another cat coming in and she pooped on the floor! Mom said it was a pooping hat trick.

Why did she say that? We don't wear hats and I hope this was not a precurser to her buying hats and forcing us to wear them. She said it was a Hockey term. Seems if you play Hockey and score three times they call it a hat trick. I still don't get it!

Comments

  1. Eddie is adorable. That face. he looks like he COULD be in charge of the others. Sure is a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have been told I am a perfect specimen of my breed. My Dad may have thought I was fat, but I must point out that the vet did not say that!

      Delete
  2. Life on the mountain is settling into a routine, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! We all thought Wall-E was the only pet who could voice his opinions, but our Mom has a way with us dogs!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of pooping. good to hear they are all healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody poops. I prefer to take care of my business in a more private manner. Toni Louise just dropped hers on the floor and walked away! She seemed to take for granted that a human would scoop it up. No apologies from her!

      Delete
  5. That hat trick is undeserving of a treat for any of you! Even though everybody poops, some manage to hold it until they're in a more appropriate place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my defense, I was traumatized! I do not like to be taken away from my mom by strangers! I don't like to be taken away from her by someone I know, but strangers are the absolute worst. Down deep, I know that she would never let anyone take me if she thought they would harm me, but it still stresses me out! Toni is a different story. She just doesn't really care! As for Bo, I am sure he suffered the same anxiety I had. We will not speak of this embarassing incident again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier