The Need To Sew

 I moved my sewing machine to my kitchen table from the She Shed. I don't have enough power in the shed to run a heater and still have lights and power for my machine. I still haven't found my box of thread. It must be hiding with the cutlery from my kitchen. By the time I was packing up the last items I used whatever box had room left.

So, why would I eliminate the space to eat a meal with my sewing machine? Well, I needed to sew. My nephew, son of my sister, is about to be a dad again. Twin boys will be here soon! 

I began hunting fabric. You might recall that I sold over 500 yards of fabric from my stash. So, not expecting to have a need for baby fabric it is all gone. Went fabric shopping and was shocked at how much pricing has gone up. Even my favorite online sites were expensive. 

I went looking and finally found some that would do for little boys and choked on the amount! I could have just puchased some blankets, but I wanted to make them. Hand made is much more personal, though my daughters would disagree. They would beg for "store bought" clothes when they were young. 

I got my fabric home and then just stood there looking at it. I have thread, just plain white thread, but I kept feeling like something was missing. What was I forgetting? Trim? Yes. My blankets are bigger than receiving blankets. They are 30" by 30". Mine are 45" by 45". They are big enough to use until the babies are toddlers. 45" is a yard and a quarter, so I got two and a half yards of each print of the 4 prints. Front and contrasting back of each blanket. This left a 1/4 yard piece of each piece of fabric. 9" isn't much, but big enough for burp cloths.

But ..... what if I just used one print for burping? that would leave a piece of contrast to play with. Since they were cut together I had 1/2 yard of contrast from both blankets. So I cut 2" bias strips, sewed them together and created my own bias tape to trim the blankets with. 

Great idea. The 1/2 yard made enought trim for the blankets and the burp cloths. Each blanket took 5 yards and it made 14 yards! I was impressed, since I was afraid I might run short. Then I realized that the ironing board was still in my shed. Where would I set it up anyway? But I needed the assistance of the iron, since I had no straight pins to work with. Fortunatey, the iron was in the closet. Good thing, since I was not up to trekking up the driveway in 8 degrees.

My table is a table for two, but I managed to set up half for ironing and half for sewing. Normally I would apply the trim to one side, then put the back and front face to face and sew together, leaving a place open to turn it out. But that would be a three step process and then I would have to close the opening. I decided to put the face sides out and apply the trim, then iron the trim in half and turn down the raw side and use a hem stitch. That was just a two step process and no opening to close.

Did you get all that? If you have any knowledge of sewing, then I know you got it. I love the flannel elephants. I carried that bolt around as I hunted for a contrast. I have just about given up when I went to get the other pieces cut, I found the yellow dots in the bin waiting to be put back in stock. I was so happy. The Patient was with me and had a glazed look in his eyes. He agreed that I had made a spectacular find, but he wasn't even looking at it.

The other prints are just quilting cotton, but will be great for warm weather naps when you need just a light weight cover. I used some terry cloth for the business side of the burp cloths. They need to be thick and thirsty!


Carters had a sale! And there were elephants!! Two onesies and pants and how cute is that? The babies will be here soon and I can't wait to hold a baby. Almost as good as a puppie! This because I would take a puppy home, but am far too old to want to care for a baby full time! Not to mention that puppies turn into happy dogs in a relatively short amount of time and become more obedient. Not so with babies who eventually become teenagers. Need I say more?

Comments

  1. You are so talented, Iused to sew when my kids were very young. Taught myself. Love that elephant print. Too cute! Twin boys. You will get your snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The babies have arrived! Jonah and Josiah. Emergency C-Section. Preemies, but big ones. One weighed a little over 6 lbs. and his brother was over 7 lbs. I wanted to jump in my car and go, but The Patient is still needy and not up to a trip.

      Delete
  2. Fun to see the first photo! I made some baby blankets from the same fabric. Yes, larger than that old 30 x 30! I crocheted around mine with matching gold yarn. Unfortunately, mine went to an anonymous baby. I made a stack of different ones. BUT I DON'T GET THE BONUS of a baby to hold. Sob! Good for you that you managed to do such a good job in such confined quarters. And you did a good job of explaining. I understand from my years at the sewing machine. Love the elephant Carter's. And, I'm thinking, the babies will live fairly near? Wonderful for you and them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonah and Josiah are a day trip away. They came early, but together they weighed over 13 lbs! I can't wait! They took them to a neonatal unit in Savannah, Ga. Both had some lung issues, but I think they will be home soon enough.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope their mama likes it. I don't know her that well, but plan to see my great nephews as often as possible. My nephew, Joey is the son of my only sister who died from Covid. I will try to fill in as much as I can. She wasn't fond of the new wife, but she would have been over the moon with twin boys!

      Delete
  4. I used to get it, but no more. That's why we have grandmothers around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys are the grandsons of my sister that we lost to Covid. I need to step up and fill in!

      Delete
  5. I love the elephant fabric! I have to go baby shopping soonish, my oldest grand daughter is expecting a boy in March and her baby shower is this month. Will the twin boys live near enough for you to see them often? For cuddles and kisses of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close enough and I can't wait to hold them and sniff them! They came yesterday! A month early. But big boys, one over 6lbs. and the brother over 7lbs.

      Delete
  6. My sewing machine is out and I have two and a half yards of fabric sitting on the table next to it for another summer skirt and it's been sitting there for a month. I'll get to it eventually i guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier