The Advocate

 I made it to the hospital in record time. The day was sunny and the drive was pleasant with a minimum of traffic. The patient told me he was being moved to another room, so I checked in at the information desk and found that he was still in the same room as before.

He was agitated when I arrived. His lunch was still on the table by the bed, untouched. Dinner came and he refused all my efforts to have him eat a bite or two, so I asked for some Ensure. He didn't drink the entire bottle, but about half.

Around 7 pm they were supposed to move him, but that didn't happen. Again around 9 pm the move was thought to be happening, but they gave the room to another patient. I made my bed of torture and settled in for the night. I had finally gotten somewhat comfortable and was dozing when they came for vitals and told us another room was ready. This was around 3:30 am. I didn't move from my warm nest on my hard bed. 

Finally they brought us upstairs at 6 am. I am watching the sun rise ..... we have a window!

While getting him settled in his new room he suddenly vomited. Hardly any warning. Up until now he has not been vomiting and this was vile. I won't be too descriptive in case my readers have a weak stomach. Suffice it to say that we saved the vomit for the doctor to see.

All along I was for the surgical path of opening his abdomen. I appreciate that the method chosen was less invasive and that CT scans are great medical tools but there is nothing like actually seeing with your eyes to discover problems. Since the procedure done on Tuesday he has been in a tremendous amount of pain. Every movement makes him groan. He doesn't want to take the pain pills, but he can't tolerate the pain.

When I saw the vomit, my very first thought was bowel obstruction. I mentioned it to the nurse and she said that was her first thought. We will not be going home today or tomorrow. I am waiting for the doctor to make rounds this morning. I have had coffee and I am ready to advocate for The Patient.

His enzyme levels and electrolytes are all over the place. His IV had been discontinued, but it was re-established this morning. I am very concerned. He looks even thinner and very gaunt. Something is going on and they need to find it!

I saw my image in the window and my hair is sticking up at strange angles. I look like a wood pecker! I hope this new doctor takes me seriously despite my appearance!

Comments

  1. Oh Kathy, I hope they figure it out soon. Seems to me that if the nurse thought bowel obstruction she would notify the doctor right away instead of having to wait til the doctor made rounds. No wonder he didn't want to eat. Once the doctor shows up, don't let him leave until you get some more aggressive treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. The nursing staff on this floor is excellent. The nurses from this morning are back on duty now, but the day nurse was equally impressive and very attentive. To morrow will be another CT and then we will know if they are going to open him up.

      Delete
  2. He is so lucky to have you to fight for him. I don't envy you because it's not fun. Good vibes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you are there to speak up for him! I hope your concerns are heard, and appropriate actions taken without delay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they heard me! They are approaching his case cautiously, but lots of tests are going on.

      Delete
  4. That's scary! I hope they do something soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really at my breaking point this morning, but I won't let myself have a meltdown in front of him. Things are calm right now.

      Delete
  5. Well, the longer the docs wait, the worse the mess they will be cleaning upl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier