First Impressions

 This past fall we had visitors. My son and his new family came from Minnesota, so I invited my sister-in-law to come up since she had not seen Jeff for quite some time.

You know how it is when you have company coming. You make every effort to show your property in the best light possible. My gardens are still in a state of beginnings, but I promise it will be spectacular in 2024. We were still waiting for the driveway to be finished, but all in all things looked pretty good, if crowded.

So when I asked my sister-in-law what she thought of our new home she said it was better than she was expecting. I was a little baffled. She saw pictures of the place before we bought it. But I didn't linger on that thought. It wasn't until we were coming home one day after all the company had left. 

As we turned off the highway and onto the road leading up to the higher properties, I looked at all the "houses" along the way and I suddenly knew what she meant. She must have thought we had lost our minds, choosing a homestead in this area.

Here, let me show you just a taste:



There are signs posted to "KEEP OUT" and "PRIVATE PROPERTY". I don't know who would be brave enough to even consider entering this place. I always expect to see it collapsed after a good storm. I have no idea who it belongs to or how long it has been abandoned. I just wish they would tear it down and clean up the land.

But, this is just one of the unsavory homesites on that road leading to my turn-off. There are several sad sites along the way. I would have taken pictures, but they are occupied and I don't think it would be neighborly to display other folks shortcomings. There is also a single wide trailer next to the property above, also abandoned.

At least everything would appear to be contained in each structure and not scattered in the front next to the road for all to see. This next set of pictures is from the worst one on that road.


This is the beginning of the property as I roll along the road. Oh, just stay tuned, it gets "better".

Getting closer to the main domicile of old.

I am sad that the weeds and bushes have lost their foliage as it somewhat camoflages the magnificence of neglect. But that will never cover the junk closest to the road. Looks like a big metal basin with a handle and some roof tin with various bits of debris, pieces of wood and rocks.

This off to the side and somewhat back from the trailer. Looks like a couple of hauling trailers with trash in bags and thousands of white water jugs, maybe milk? Who knows.

Come on in to our humble abode .... if you dare.

Close up of the front porch. I see some sort of power saw up there, a child's rocking horse and wagon. I itch to get out of my car and investigate the big rocks on the ground. I could use those ....


Wonder what shape the inside is in. For a long time there was a light on somewhere in there. Looked like it was from a range hood in the kitchen or maybe a light in the bathroom.

Is it bad that I would take advantage of a chance to clean the place up? I am sure there are some treasures hiding in the trash. It doesn't show in any of the pictures, but there is a garden bench sitting on the ground next to the body of the trailer. The wood seat is warped and dips in, but I think the back and sides are iron! It would be a nice addition to any one of my gardens with a new seat installed.

Only once have we seen anyone there. We have been told it is someone who owns lots of property in the area and is not very friendly. I am certain I could make him talk to me, I have a gift. Even if they talk to me in hopes that I will go away faster.

Other homes along the way are sad and shabby, but the trailer in the last set of photos vies for the title of THE WORST with an occupied home.

The house is brick, what you can see of it. I assume they only enter through the carport because the front porch is stuffed with various stuff. There are many cars in various states in the yard. A riding lawn mower looks like it struck a big tree and no longer runs, but they just left it there. A hauling trailer is in the front yard filled with bags of trash that is sometimes spilling over. There was a sofa on it for a long time. Can't tell how often they visit the dump with a load, but not too often. A cute little black dog, medium sized and low to the ground with big ears plays right next to the road. He looks like he might have some Bassett Hound in his blood line. The house front porch sports a Trump 2020 banner that is not in good repair flapping in the wind. Should I buy a calendar for them so they know what year it is?

Another little house quite close to the road chose to park a small RV in the tiny front yard, totally obscuring the front of the house. They mowed around all the obstacles during the summer, but seemed oblivious to the tall growth of grass and weeds surrounding anything in the yard.

I can just imagine my in-laws driving to our house on this road and what they were thinking to find at the end of the journey!

Comments

  1. Oh my! I was reading along and came to the words "bench sitting on the ground next to the body of..." and thought, Oh no, there's a body laying there? Finally I read the whole sentence and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call that creative reading! I really want that bench!

      Delete
  2. Maybe your impeccable residence will shame some of those people into cleaning up their act?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are on the road that leads to my turn-off and doubt they will ever see my place. I am a little out of the way. Probably wouldn't matter to them!

      Delete
  3. Junkers gonna junk. You could plop some people into a brand new house, and within six months, the grounds would look like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! The abandoned places bug me. You would think they wuld remove the trailers or houses and sell or rent the property. With the lake and everything this area has to offer a lot of vacationers come to this area.

      Delete
  4. They do say be careful of the company you keep. Or live next to I guess. It mystifies me that people have no self respect I don't care how poor you are. It doesn't cost anything to pick up the trash in your yard. Like the people here who throw their trash bags out the window onto the easement. And the the county who could easily send a truck out to pick up the bags while they are more or less intact instead just sends the mowers out and mows over them shredding and spreading out the trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not been able to find reliable trash pick up, so we have started taking ours to the landfill and recycle center ourselves. We go at least twice a month and put the bags in two very large trash cans with lids (bears). The Trump 2020 people seem to go a lot less than that and sometimes the garbage will be all over their yard. They will pick up the bigger stuff, but don't seem to care about having their yard full of crap.

      Delete
  5. Ellen reminded me: in the township one policy was that Monday was trash pick up from our weekend park guests, the pigs. They would fill one dump tuck at least twice, once in the morning, once after lunch. The best "find" was a gallon jug of menthol. That wound up being picked up by haz-mat, as no one knew what it was or what it did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we live in the county, "rules" don't seem to apply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would wonder about your place too if I had to drive past those first. we have people like that here too, not only out in the country, but in the suburbs and even closer to the city. If I walk down my street and turn into the side street there is a small dwelling with piles of "stuff" in the driveway right up to the house on one side and the street gate on the other and I don't know how far back the lot goes, but I suspect it is filled with "stuff" all the way back. In my block of flats there is an upstairs walkway between "my" building and the one adjoining behind and that walkway was jammed full of stuff when I first moved in and eleven years later it is all still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some neighborhood ordinances in our little area (Pounding Mill Estates) that are pretty much adhered to, but to get here you have no choice but to drive that road!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth