Births and Other Fascinating Adventures

 What a day this has been! The Patient has been experiencing abdominal pain for about 2 weeks now. The Patient's wife has been trying to take him to see our family doctor. He refused all my efforts until today. I told him I was sick of listening to him complain and hurt. He hasn't been able to eat and has lost 20 lbs. since his surgery which was December 12, not even a month ago! I have managed to force fluids. So, I told him he could go to the office or I would call an ambulance and he could go to the ER.

I made the appointment for 3:00 today. Before we left, I talked to my nephew. The babies are here!! His wife started beeding excessively. She knew she would have to have a C-Section because she had placenta previa. This happens when the placenta is positioned right above the cervix. It burst, putting all three of them in jeopardy.

The mother is fine and the boys have been transferred to a hospital with a neo-natal ICU. Both were having trouble breathing. They weren't due until Feburary, but one weighed over 6 pounds and his brother weighed over 7 pounds! I hate to think how much they would have grown that last month! Jonah and Josiah and I can't wait to meet them.

The patient did not look great when I got him in the exam room. Amanda (our nurse practitioner) decided he needed to go to the hospital emergency room. I drove him there and we waited 2 hours to get into an exam room and see a doctor. A huge back-up of patients and every bed occupied in the ER, but they drew blood while we waited. His white blood cell count was high, indicating some sort of infection. 

The CT scan showed a big abscess in his abdomen that is causing the pain. More blood, EKG, IV fluids, pain meds and trying to decide how to eliminate the problem. They decided that it can be done with a large bore needle aspiration under the guidance of a radiology device to guide the needle rather than opening his abdomen under general anesthesia.

But ..... the hospital doesn't have the necessary equipment. I am home in bed and The Patient is on his way to Gainesville via ambulance. I will go in the morning. There is no way I could navigate that trecherous stretch of road through the mountains in the dark. Night blindness keeps me from behind the wheel after dusk. Took forever to get home tonight. A familiar trip on familiar roads. I know my limitations! Stay tuned for more .......

Comments

  1. OH NO! I am sending healing thoughts for a good recovery in all your "patients." And some extra for your own peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very sick. I had to come home today because I forot my own medication and there is a limit on how many days I will war the same underwear! It was hard to leave.

      Delete
  2. Good thing you put your foot down! You take care of you and the puppies and let the doctors take care of the patient. Prayers tonight for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like I need to be there to correct what he "mishears" . I almost taped a note to his door to tell everyone he doesn't hear well. But, some people will shout and on the pain meds it startles him. I went yesterday and came home this afternoon and now I am feeling like I should go back!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you put your foot down and now he will get the care and treatment he needs. Also happy mother and twins are doing well, 6 pounds and 7 pounds is a good weight for preemies. My grand twins were only 4 pounds and 5 pounds but are both doing really well now they are six months old. They cried when they were first born until they were put into the same crib where they could touch each other and that helped them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The babies look good. They texted me some pictures and Mama is now with them in the other hospital. I hope she can recover from the surgery before they send them home. The babies have 19 year old big sister, so I fell like she will have some help. Right now I have no idea when my patient will be released, but I don't think it will be soon. He is very sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of your husband's medical issue. Good thing you finally made him go. Men can be incredibly stubborn and stupid about health issues. I know, I've done it. Good news of the new babies. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a meltdown today, over and now I will just keep putting one foot in front of the other! A good night's sleep after a hot shower should help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of the two of you. Hoping for signs of improvement soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn. What is it with men. No no I'd rather suffer than go to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier