RX

 We have been inside for the last 12 days. Well, with one exception and that was for a post surgical visit to our favorite nurse practitioner. She declared the surgery to be a great success and also said that he could drive 10 days post-op.

I might have mentioned that HeWho has a VERY low tolerance for pain. He made great use of the morphine while in the hospital, even asked for it the morning we were to go home. I quickly vetoed that request, much to his dismay. I told them to bring him the pain pill. He stared at me until the nurse left and I told him they wold not discharge him with morphine on board. I am the brains in our union.

They gave us a prescription for the hydrocodone to be picked up on the way home. It was a long drive and I was not too happy with his critique of my driving. He swears I was slamming on my brakes. I was not. He is so used to driving and when you have the steering wheel to hold onto it feels totally different. Next time he drives, I am going to grab things and just go nuts to give him a taste of himself.

Anyhoo, despite the fact that we would be driving past the Walmart that we get our prescriptions from, I opted to stop at Walgreens that is closer to home. What was I thinking? That it would be quicker and we could actually get home before dark. It would have taken 5 minutes in Walmart, since they have all of our information on hand. In and out, I could have been in and out quickly.

I had never been in the Walgreens that is close to my home. It never looks very busy. So, I was thinking it would take, maybe, 10 minutes and we would be on the road to our house when dusk was appearing. Familiar road. Only one person ahead of me and of course he had an issue that the girl couldn't handle, so she suggested that he wait until the pharmacist could assist.

I was next up. I had the prescription, insurance card and debit card in my hand. As she was fiddling with the input from the insurance card, I noted her name tag and the word "TRAINEE" under her name. I knew I was in trouble. I wanted to go behind the counter and push her to one side and input the info myself (I do know how). I showed a great deal of self restraint, having just navigated my way out of Atlanta and subjected myself to driving instructions from the post surgical person with pain meds running through his veins. I had not had a shower, after sleeping on the very hard surface of the pull out "bed" in the hospital room.

She found him in the system, but the address was wrong. It was our old address in Missouri. She tried to update it several times and failed. Finally I told her to just fill the RX and I would file it later. My patient was at the end of the pain meds he took in the hospital and really cranky. By now I was hitting on 15 minutes and becoming quite agitated myself. While the prescription was being filled, I meandered through the store taking note of what they had and their prices. That took about 5 minutes, the store is not that big. I went back to the pharmacy section and took a seat. The drive-thru was keeping the other technician busy and the pharmacist was steadily filling prescriptions. The trainee announced that she had finally got the insurance to cover it. Oh, goody!

I stood up and was ready to pay after 20 minutes of great fun. "Oh, this is a narcotic. He will need to come in and bring his drivers license before I can let you have it." WHAT! I just looked at her and said, "Absolutely NOT!" I went on to tell her that he could barely walk, having just had his femoral artery ripped out of his leg and replaced with a cow vessel! Not only that, but he would be most unpleasant as the pain meds were wearing off and she would not enjoy an encounter with my beloved.

She relented and said that my drivers license would work, so I hiked back to the car and retrieved it and paid. That was 25 minutes of my life I will never get back.

I was happy to be amost home to see my canine babies and get a shower, not knowing that my confinement was just beginning ....... 

Comments

  1. As I said in my comment the other day---- when you miss awhile posting, it's cause of concern. Your ending affirms my thinking. I hope the story isn't too bad. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been very busy with my patient, he is difficult ....

      Delete
  2. I've been reading some wild and wooly Christmas Eve stories. To quote Rose, we hope the rest of the story isn't too bad. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read on, I have a good 15 minutes to myself to create aother post.

      Delete
  3. Probably hasn't been a very pleasant 12 days. No partridge in a pear tree, no turtle doves, no gold rings, no geese or dancers, etc. Just a grumpy old man. All that aside, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grumpy old man says it all! Grumpy and needy, can't do anything for himself! All that being said my daughter told me this MY fault for always taking care of him. I will have the last laugh, since she married a man alot like her Dad!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas! Hope you will be able to evade your captor and finish the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a drama you had to go through. I hope life settles down for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold