Extract Is Done

 You may remember that I was making vanilla extract a couple of months ago. I ordered the vanilla beans for $13 and bought a bottle of Vodka for $14. The beans went into a 24 oz bottle and topped off with 2 cups of vodka to be shaken daily.

I finally found some bottles with tight lids and have filled them. I got 5 full 2oz bottles and a partial bottle that I will use myself. Have you priced it recently? McCormick 2oz bottles go for over $8. I have 5 full bottles, that would be $45. I spent $27 on the vodka and beans, so I saved $18. I bought a case (12) of the 2 oz bottles and they were $1.08 each.

Well, there goes that business! Not that I want to sell it. I will just give it away to family. The little bottles are cute, don't you think? 


This is what is left. I will need to strain all the liquid and let the beans dry so I can flavor some sugar. I will report back after I use it in a recipe.

The Patient scheduled his right leg surgery today. January 25, 2023. Oh, looks like we will meet our deductible for 2023 in January. Got the bill, scrutinized it closely and they missed nothing. It was over $81,000. I don't know what insurance paid yet but my deductible was met early last year, too.

Should be paid for by my supplemental insurance, but a little voice in my head tells me I will need to advocate for it to actually do so.



Comments

  1. That vanilla bean caper was nice. My girls and I did it so many years ago, but I think she repeated with her kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes way too much for just one household, but makes a nice little gift to take to someone who may be preparing your dinner.

      Delete
  2. Woman, is there anything you CAN'T do? I am impressed. WOW! Those hospital bills are whoppers. Hope all goes well in a few weeks with Hewho who should be recovered on leg #1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to say that the extract is so easy. It makes itself with very little effort on my part. Yes, the hospital bills are impressive. It looks like we will be respnsible for just 10%, if all the other bills are any indication. I need to gather up all my bills for taxes and to prove my out of pocket expenses to the supplemental insurance provider. You can claim the cost of vitamins and supplements, as well. I need to do more research to see what lse I can claim. Because the deductible is "out of pocket" expenses. My co-pays on RX are with a different provider, so I have to submit that info before they will apply it. It is a hassle, but wel worth the effort to have 80% of my part covered. That will definitely bring it down to a reasonable amount.

      Delete
  3. $81,000!!! Holy Moly! The vanilla extract looks perfect. I just checked the labels on the three bottles I have, one is "with seeds" and contains water as well as alcohol, 20%, another contains more alcohol, 35%, but also has water and sugar, the last is a concentrated extract, very thick and syrupy, which contains glucose syrup (from corn) and water, plus the least amount of alcohol at only 10%. I'm quite surprised, I never read the ingredients before and now I'm wondering if I should try and find some tiny bottles and make my own as you have done. on the other hand, I barely do any baking these days, so maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added no sugar. Just the vodka and the beans. Funny how the alcohol content varies. I suppose it depends on the alcohol strenth you buy. I didn't use an expensive bottle of vodka, and can't remember the alcohol content other than I made sure it was on or above the recommended amount.

      Delete
  4. Well, now you made me get up and look at my vanilla...water, 35% alcohol, vanilla bean extract. When I had the ablation for flutter I don't remember if I ever saw the bill (I probably did but I don't remember what it was) but my copay was only $200 which I was astounded that was all they charged me. I had a copay of $100 for an interior ultrasound of my heart the day before so the whole thing was only $300.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deductible required is your out of pocket costs, so your co-pays would be applicable. I don't have co-pays with my policy. My RX (Humana) has co-pays, but the supplement (Physicians Mutual) won't pay anything until the deductible is met. So all of the diagnostic testing and the previous failed attempt at angioplasty will all apply, but just the parts we had to pay out of pocket. Then they pay 80%. So my part of the $81,000 would be $8100. That would bring that down to around $162. It will also impact other medical bills we have already paid, but they will show up as a credit on account with the facility and can be applied on going.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth