Ray Of Hope

 It was still quite dark when we left our house at 5:30 this morning. We decided to leave early because rain was pelting down and fog hung low over the roads. We had wound our way through the wicked switchbacks on the way to Helen, Ga. and I was finally unclenching all my muscles from trying brake the car from the passenger side when the phone rang.

It was Dr. Ross. There had been an emergency with a patient with an aneurysm that would likely take up the better part of the day. The surgical suites close at 3 pm for elective surgeries and he gave us the option of postponing or coming on and hoping the aneurysm would be done before 3. Then a very tired surgeon would take care of my husband's leg. Or he would have to wait until tomorrow morning in hopes of being worked in. The other option was to reschedule. I knew what my decision would be, but I let the patient make his own decision and we were in agreement.

So, we turned around and went back the way we came through the treacherous switchbacks in the still dark morning. We weren't that far from home and I was longing for a hot cup of coffee, so we stopped at a cafe and got breakfast. I ordered a short stack of the heaviest pancakes ever, but the coffee was hot and strong. Gray light lit the morning as we ate and then headed home.








This was what I saw as we drove along the way. The mountains are always there and they are beautiful even in the gray light of what looked to be the beginning of an overcast day.

We got a call late last night from our brother-in-law. Drew's sister, Pam had been flown to Atlanta after seeing her doctor. All we know so far is that she has a brain bleed. Please send prayers and thoughts her way. She has survived cancer and Covid, so we will be quite happy with another miracle.

HeWho was going under the knife today went back to bed. That strong hot coffee prevented me from joining him. I went out with the dogs and noticed the sun was trying to peek from the clouds.

I fumbled with my phone and missed the ray of sun I saw earlier.


Then it came back and I caught it. See the small streak of green reflected on the mountain? A ray of hope? I chose to believe it is.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It is good to know that the surgeon cared enough to call himself. If I were the aneurysm's wife I would want his full attention on my husband and not on other patients waiting.

      Delete
  2. That's beautiful scenery. What is meant to be, will be. It wasn't HeWho's time to have surgery. The doctor was there to know what your sister-in-law needed, and a helicopter was available. I will keep her in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything happens for a reason. We have not been able to go see my sister-in-law. I am still so very sick. My abdominal muscles hurt so bad from coughing and I really should consider adult diapers! I would love to take a bottle brush to my inner ear and scratch it. I am still doing the fever and chills and when we went to bed last night I told HeWho to take me to the hospital if I wasn't a whole lot better today. I hate being in a hospital, but I can't rest with coughing fits every five minutes.

      Delete
  3. Definitely a ray of hope. My mum used to make heavy pancakes, she said they were filling and would keep us going until the next meal (even if that next meal was a week away). I hope Pam is okay, doctors can do wonderful things these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was moved to a step down unit from neurological ICU late yesterday and her headache has subsided. She is scheduled for an MRI on Monday and hopefully they can figure out what caused the bleed. I keep encouraging HeWho to go be with her family, but he won't leave me here sick. I even offered to ride with him and just stay in the car. Such a stubborn man!

      Delete
  4. At this rate if Drew ever gets that surgery it will be a miracle. Hoping for the best for his sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Although I don't know that I could have driven back to get him after the surgery. It has been awhile since I have been this sick. I never have a fever, but I have been plagued with fever and chills. If only I could sleep!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier