Martha Came Home

 Martha came home today. Took me back to the beginning of my grief journey. I wish the kind woman had not shared the fact that she found punture wounds in my Martha's ear. I would assume there were a lot of pucture wounds and the dogs picked him up by his head, so ....




The box is a little smaller than Cujo's and the decorative carvings are a little different, I suppose Martha's fat didn't turn to ash and he was a cat, after all is said and done. Left a huge hole in my heart, no matter the size of Martha.

We bypassed the vet office this time and saved over $100. So, we didn't get a cast of his footprint the vet's office did. Wasn't worth $120, though. They snipped some fur for me. She probably had to wash the mud out of it first. He was so mangled and muddy, it was impossible to know what color his fur was.


The flowers at the bottom of the thoughtful verse are actually Martha's paw prints. Cujo's were on his, but I didn't realize it at the time. I would go volunteer some time with this like minded person, but HeWho knows me well vetoed that idea. She has 42 dogs rescued from euthanasia. Perfectly healthy pets abandoned by families of older people who have died or gone to an assisted living situation and they don't want to be bothered with the needs of the pets. They take them in and ask the vet to put them down. I won't go on about how very cruel this.

So now I am sitting here totally uninspired in front of the TV. I don't even care that the political ads are coming fast and furious to linger at the edges of my sanity. The Lieutinent Govenor keeps telling us about the Georgia state dog. He must have trouble pronouncing certain words and probably should have avoided trying to say adoptible. It sounds like he is saying "Dopple Dog". This clearly sounds like a cartoon dog. As I wash the dishes the first time I heard the ad, I conjered up mental image of a "Dopple Dog" and none of them were appealing as a pet.

A burst of energy had me doing a thorough cleaning in the back of my house yesterday. I cleaned out both closets and changed over to fall clothes. I will need to go up in the loft of my shed to find our winter coats. We recently argued about the size of this home, causing us to grab a measuring tape and measuring the footprint outside.

I am surprised to report that the 400 square feet I thought I was living in, is actually 350 square feet. Just amazing that I manged to stuff so much into such a small space!


Comments

  1. I won't tell you Martha is happier, but her certainly is safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha might be happier, but I am not! I know it will get easier, jut not fast.

      Delete
  2. I like the flowers, and did not realize they were Martha's footprints. I also like the box, but realizing its purpose makes me sad. That 42-dog woman is an angel on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unaware that the flowers were paw prints until she told me. I love the boxes and am thinking about buying some of them to house the ashes of the other five pets. I didn't think the boxes will open, but we found that out by accident. Cujo's bag of ashes is twice the size of Martha's. Maybe I should just buy a huge urn and put them all together to wait for my ashes. Is that ghoulish?

      Delete
  3. I also didn't realise the flowers were paw prints. The boxes are beautiful.
    350 square feet is very small. I haven't measured exactly, so I'm not sure about my 400 square feet and I don't remember if I included the closed in back porch which is unlivable, being filled with cupboards and cat things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to include the closed in porch and create a living room that would be about 300 square feet, then have the space for a larger , more cook friendly kitchen, move the washer/dryer to a space behind the living room area and use the closet they were in as a loset for clothes. HeWho swears it will be cheaper to just sell this and have a modular home of about 800 sq. ft. put on this footprint. I disagree and I will prove it! My son seems to think his dad has learned NOTHING in the past 49 years! He is right.

      Delete
  4. Hey, you are with the current times! Tiny houses are all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny houses are great, it is the tiny storage I disdain!

      Delete
  5. I downsized to a condo that was half the size of my old house, but it's still three times the size of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really it is not so bad until winter when we aren't able to sit on the back porch as much. I do wish for a more functional kitchen. I love to cook, but have about 2 square feet of prep area. I want more!

      Delete
  6. I was at a funeral yesterday, and the priest mentioned that when his father passed, someone told him about finding comfort in knowing that his father is with God. He said, I know he is with God, but my problem is that he is not here with me. And I am not religious per se, but that line really stuck out to me. WIshing you sunshine and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this. The feeling he described is spot on. Profound, even!

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine living in that small a space especially with another human being.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier