Punkin Chunkin

 We set out to attend the Punkin Chunkin contest around noon. They have food there, so we didn't bother with lunch. It wasn't that far away, sixteen minutes according to Siri in Brasstown, NC.

We turned too soon onto someone's private drive and were hunting for an easy turn around when we came upon a mechanic's garage with a couple of dogs hanging out. The man was nice, but he had dogs, so .... He gave us better directions than Siri had provided and we were on our way in minutes.

In minutes we were turning onto the correct road. A small two lane country road, very picturesque.



We weren't going fast, but when we got about here, we came to a full stop. It took 30 minutes to navigate this mile and a half road to get to the venue. It was stop and go and we inched along. Every few minutes HeWho would question me and ask if we should just turn around and go somewhere else. I declined his offer and told him I was determined to see some punkin chunkin!


And it was not an unpleasant ride with the windows down. A little cool when we left home, I had a sweater on. HeWho had the heater on in the truck, I immediately turned it off. 

We finally made it to the entrance and saw that the oncoming traffic was heading into the venue, as well and was backed up as far as we could see. Where did all these people come from? They had a few handicap parking spots and we were diverted to that row and told to park where ever we could, which was far away from the entrance. Things were not boding well for the man who can't walk much.

We walked to the exit and they let us pay there. First thing was food.


Saw this right away. HeWho asked if I wanted wine. I did not want to walk around drinking wine in what was turning out to be a very warm day on an empty stomach. We got into a line at one of the food kiosk that I thought to be relatively short. We got a cuban and a reuben and bottled water. We stood at a big wire spool and ate while we tried to watch pumpkins soar through the air at what seemed to be super sonic speed. One went over 2700 feet.

The line to order was short, the pick-up line was not. I entertained myself people watching until I saw a double dapple dachshund in a stroller. She was so cute and well behaved. HeWho and I wondered how our dogs would be in a stroller. Eddie would have sat patiently waiting for the ride to end and might have then tried to get down. Both Toni Louise and Bo would have tried to escape while in motion, then ran from person to person either begging for food or just taking it. Toni Louise is notorious for taking food out of your hand as it is headed to your mouth, assuming you must be offering her a bite.





Crowds everywhere and some were smart enough to bring chairs, wish we had!



These are some serious chunking devises!

There were plane rides, too. That plane was too small for me to even consider riding in! No way!

See how incredibly tiny, just a speck in the sky!

We stayed long enough to see a pumpkin smash and I found the dachshund from the stroller lounging on a blanket on the ground. She was a very sweet dog, allowing us to pet her while we chatted with her owner. I got a little teary thinking about Cujo. He would have hated all the attention that little dog enjoyed. He always had a suspicious look on his face when others approached him. Then he would either turn away or growl and try to bite. 

It was a good day, if we go next year we will bring chairs. There were quite a few vendors selling their wares. Maybe next year I could try to move some sock monkeys and such. Who knows what may be?

Comments

  1. Thank you for taking me by blog to the Punkin Chunkin festival, so I didn't have to sit in traffic, walk a distance, and be around crowds! I do miss seeing that dachshund, though. I'm not a wine-drinker, but the wine slushie on the menu sounds intriguing. Hope the flights of that spindly plane were coordinated with the Chunker, so it wasn't in danger of being brought down by a Punkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so enchanted with the little dog whose name is Willow that i didn't think to snap a picture. The very next day on a trip to Walmart Pharmacy, I encountered another doxie. She was the same color as Cujo and had is gray face. I stopped to pet her and left with tears in my eyes. I think HeWho might be tiring of my grieving. Like I would suddenly stop just for him!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I would enjoy watching any punkin chunkin, but food and a plane ride? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plane ride for me. It was $5 to park and $5 admission per person and the food was expensive. We spent $40 for the event by the time we ate. Only a sandwich and water each. I would have smuggled in some andwiches had I known!!

      Delete
  3. If you go next year you'll know to leave much earlier and bring chairs! I don't enjoy traffic jams like that. I would not enjoy the stop and go traffic to get there and leave I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic was annoying, but the weather was so nice and we had a good radio station on. Leaving was easier. I could have strolled among the vendors had we had chairs to put HeWho in. Maybe invite another couple, too, next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold