Over The Rainbow Again

 Cujo will have company today. Martha joined him yesterday. Not a peaceful death, though. He was mauled to death by two pitbulls whose owner thinks it is okay to let his dogs roam this mountainside.

Martha rarely left the parameters of our property. He did like to go down the ravine to the stream for a nice cool drink and this is our property. He must have been doing just that yesterday afternoon. We heard a commotion, dogs barking and a cat yowling. We immediately looked around to see if Martha was in the house, he wasn't.

Looking down near the stream I could see two white pits attacking a cat. I could not tell if it was Martha. It sounded like him and he was putting up a good fight, but there is a stray that looks like him. I started down the ravine and it was slow going. All the leaves made it all the more treacherous. I had my walking stick and I had to stop frequently and push leaves out of the way.

I was yelling at those dogs the entire time and I picked up rocks and sticks to throw at them. They dragged my cat across the stream and into the woods on the other side. I had dispatched HeWho to the neighbors to look for a better way down to the stream, but he found none. He did encounter the dogs' owner and instead of calling his dogs off, he tried to justify letting them roam loose. I was screaming as the dogs played tug of war with my Martha. He finally called them off an I stood watching the dark gray form lying still on the ground while HeWho was making his way down the ravine.

He waded across and told me it was definitely Martha and that he was alive. He picked him up and made his way back across the steam. Martha was mewling, no doubt, in pain. I took my t-shirt off to form a sort of hammock to put him in and carry him up the ravine. I didn't want to hold him, as I didn't know where he might be hurting.

If I thought the trip down the ravine was bad, the trip up was a nightmare. HeWho's legs gave out and he had to sit while I climbed up to the top. I had left the stove on and it was clear that neither one of us could walk up carrying Martha. I grabbed a tarp and some towels to cushion Martha and then climbed back down, about half way to get them.

My thought was to secure him on the tarp and pull him up. It worked for just a bit before he rolled out and down aways. When I got to him, he was dead. His eyes were set and he was no longer breathing.

He was no longer in pain, though. The adrenaline rush left me, but we still had a quarter of the way to go. I was crawling by then. I would put my cat in front of me and then crawl just beyond him, reach back and put him in front of me again. Made it almost to the top and the cat's body rolled back down, almost to the halfway point. HeWho was sitting on his butt and pushing his way up. I climbed back down and picked Martha up and we started over again.

It was getting dusky as we finally made it to the top. We wrapped our baby in towels and put his body in the shed. I could not bear the thought of those dogs finding him and playing with his dead body.

We took him to the crematory that took care of Cujo this morning. I didn't kiss him goodbye. His fur was matted with mud and he was in pretty bad shape. We looked for wounds when we first got to him, but other than puncture wounds from the dogs' teeth we really couldn't tell exactly where he was hurt the most.




Missing my big old boy today. 



Comments

  1. A heavy heart here, Kathy. Poor Martha. Something that you had no way of knowing to watch out for. Somebody else's dogs! So sorry. Sharing your grief. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So senseless. The dogs were not in a frenzy, just casually killing my cat. Someone taught this behavior to those dogs.

      Delete
  2. Oh NO!! I'm so sorry! Poor, poor kitty...he knew he was loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I raised Martha with a bottle, I was the only mother he knew. He was my baby.

      Delete
  3. My God, what is wrong with people that let dangerous animals like that run loose? I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs were not born dangerous. We have been told told the owner is crazy. He made them what they are and I hold him responsible. That won't stop me from killing them if they show up on my property again.

      Delete
  4. Long time reader and this post compelled me to post. I am horrified and angry beyond words! Poor sweet Martha! If I lived near you I would hunt those dogs down and put an end to their blood-thirsty ways. Some people would say it's the owners and not the dogs who are to blame. That may be true but when a dog does something like that they need to be put down. I'm so sorry for what you went through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, me and Judge Judy! My Cujo was a biter. He hated small children, so I kept him away from small children. Common sense.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry this happened. You probably are aware of any further remarks I might make, so I will stop there and let karma take over. Good=bye sweet cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry...I couldn't read all the details...too painful. But read enough to know...breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH NO! A sad goodbye to boy cat Martha. He will be missed. I am relieved that those dogs didn't turn on YOU! They were doing what they've been bred to do for a couple hundred years: aggressively attack and fight to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a pit named Gemma. The dogs were about her size and white like her. Gemma is a sweet soul and the only thing intimidating about her is her strength. I know they were bred to fight, but they can be trained if you aren't a backwoods idiot. I was never close enough to them, they dragged my baby across the creek as I got closer. They were just casually biting into my cat and shaking him or double teaming him to try to pull him apart. They seemed to be unaware of me despite all the noise I was making and throwing things at them.

      Delete
  8. Oh Kathy. How horrible. I know how you feel. We had an old cat who moved slow and whose eyesight wan't the best. She was outside and I was woken up early one morning to loud noise and thumping and ran outside and my neighbor's pit bull had gotten out of their yard and into mine and just tore that poor cat apart. I was so pissed I went and pounded on their door and yelling and waking everyone up. Told him his god damn dog just killed my cat, to come get him, and if he ever got in my yard again I was going to shoot him. Of course they didn't know I don't own a gun but that dog never got in my yard again. Maybe you should tell your neighbor that if you ever see his dogs on your property again, you're going to shoot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been warned that the owner of these dogs is crazy engh to seek retaliation should we file a report with the sheriff. We have also been warned that the existing sheriff won't adress the issue, but the new sheriff will. Doesn't help much right now, though. I am as mad as I can be and would probably tried to claw the bastard's eyes out if I could get my hands on him. Bad enough he seemed not to care at all that my pet was suffering, but to train those dogs to so casually kill is the real crime. I loathe people like this.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you. Martha is missed. My little Bo keeps searching for his cat.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth