Humana Strikes Again

 If you hang out here much, you might recall my battle with Humana shortly after we moved here. We have our monthly bill to Humana automatically deducted from our checking account, always have. We chose our supplemental insurance plan before we turned 65, so that everything went into action without a big hassle. We had a broker handle everything and it was super simple and easy.

Everything was going well until we switched to mail order from Humana. Oh, we got our prescriptions in a timely fashion and I was grateful that it was in place during the Covid lock down. My problem with them was ordering refills. It should be a simple task done on the phone or online. It was anything but simple. Their website was a nightmare to navigate. Everytime I tried to log on to handle refills, my password would not work and in order to obtain a new one I had to call Humana and wait through an arduous prompt before reaching a person. Then it was transfer after transfer until I could talk to the "right" person. This person was always exasperated that I did not seem to understand the workings of a computer. 

At first I leaned into the assumption that I did not understand how it all worked and let her walk me through everything I had already tried, only to come to the conclusion that "something must have happened" and then she would get me into my account. Then I got super annoyed that it kept happening and decided to take the survey they kept offering.

I doubt they even review those suveys, because nothing changed. I just succumbed and ordered on the phone. This was equally difficult. When I call Walmart (and probably any other pharmacy out there), it takes about 5 minutes and I am done. All I need to provide is an RX number located on the bottle, verify the first few digits of my last name and just like that, I am done after they tell me when my order will be ready. 

With Humana, you better make sure you have your insurance card handy. You will be asked the number and your birthdate and your full name, then you may or may not be able to order the drug by name. If you are out of refills you will be switched to another line where you will need to submit ALL the information again and then answer whether you want them to notify your doctor. 

So, we moved here and I called to change my address. This was a 45 minute event and many individuals telling me that I am not covered because of my new address. That new address did not seem to stop the automatic withdrawal of funds to pay the monthly premiums. It was like being in the Twilight Zone (google it if you are confused).

I finally hung up on one of them and called our broker. He said he would find another plan, but Humana is the lowest premium and pays the most on the RX. I don't know what he did, (that is not entirely true .... he did HIS JOB) but he fixed it. We had coverage again and things have gone okay, especially since I pted out of the mail order option and use Walmart. Not entirely convenient, but at least my phone time is down from ordering refills.

So, imagine my surprise and annoyance when I got a letter from Humana telling me that they had unenrolled me due to non-payment. I was spitting mad, so HeWho takes longer to boil over offered to call them. He called the number supplied in my letter and got a real live person. This person listened to the contents of the letter and said he could look into it, but while he had him on the phone, was he aware of the Humana plan with Medicare and were we looking to switch to a better plan?

No, we were not and HeWho wanted to go back to the issue at hand. The man took a few minutes to look at the policy and immediately told us that our zipcode was not one covered. So, if it is not covered, then why have we have insurance this past year? He had no explanation for that. I was listening to the entire exchange and voiced my opinion. The man started talking to me abd saying things about trying to be of assistance and went back into his practiced speech as he once again tried to convince us to change our Medicare plan.

I pretty much offered my opinion that he was failing miserable and then I was done. If they do not cover my zipcode, then how can he offer this? Okay, here's the starngest part. HeWho is still covered. Confused yet?

I had to pick up my generic Crestor Sunday along with my Atenolol and two prescrition refills for HeWho takes a whole lot of pills. I always get a 3 month supply and my Atenolol is only $10, but the other was $400!!! As my mind was spinning, the pharmacy tech was checking other options. I decided to get just a 30 day supply, or just chop some of the 10mg pills that HeWho takes in half to get my 5mg dosage. I could make do until our broker found a solution. The pharmacy tech used a Good RX # and got my $400 prescription down to $12.50.

I have Good RX, it is free. But, you can't use it along with your other insurance. Doesn't mean I am not going to do some research to see what drugs may be cheaper with Good RX. Our broker just called to say that I would be re-enrolled o my previous Humana plan. 

This makes me think this was all a stunt to try to switch us to a different Medicare plan. I wonder how many people are scared into this change, thinking they will not have coverage otherwise.


Comments

  1. Sounds to me like someone needs to go to Humana head office and kick some butts! Why do they have to deliberately complicate things by covering only one of you suddenly? And I don't see how a different zip code makes any difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where the office is located, but a trip there would be fun! What difference a zipcode makes is something I don't understand, as the rest of the state of North Carolina is covered. They must know my adress because they send out "invoices" on what I have spent and letters telling me I need to change to mail order. Got a letter yesterday telling me I owe them some 70 odd dollars since I have been unenrolled. That is twice my monthly payment was and I can prove they deducted the money from my account!

      Delete
  2. There are only two supplemental plans offered in my county. Humana, which my sister has, and United Healthcare which I have. I use OptumRX for my meds. Website is very easy and when I need the prescription renewed they call the doctor and take care of it. I take eliquis, horribly expensive if you don't have a drug plan, like $700 a month. The price through optumrx varies depending on where I am in my coverage, the 'donut hole' which I really don't understand, but never more that about $130 a month and usually less than that. The patent on eliquis expired so a generic could be manufactured but somehow they got the patent extended. I hope a generic is eventually available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generic is always much cheaper afterthe patent expires and all of ours are generic, but still too expensive to do without insurance. The donut hole is a mystery that no one seems to be able to explain. Just another way to take more money!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier