Allergies and Dreams

 I was unable to sleep for the past two nights. Not my normal insomnia, but a persistant headache for nearly three days. Feels like a big drill bit going through my eye socket to the back of my head.

Of course, I tried every pain killer in the medicine cabinet. Last night was awful. I gave up on sleep and got out of bed at 1 AM and took 2 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprophen. I sat down on the couch to wait for some relief. Eddie was right next to me. Bo and Toni Louise joined us until they realized it was not morning and treats were not forthcoming.

I was still in pain at 3 AM, but went to bed anyway thinking to try to sleep the pain away. I finally drifted off some time after that and at some point I dreamed of Cujo. In the dream he was in my bedroom and I was in the kitchen at the end of the hall calling him. He appeared at the doorway and looked at me with his little gray face before he came out completely. I called to him, as I have done a million times saying, "You better come here to your mommy" in a singsong voice. He them wagged his entire body as his paws tapped a dance on the floor. I kept talking to him and telling him to come to me as he made his way down the hall, wagging his fat little body and stopping to do his little dance. Just as I started to pick him up, I woke.

I was crying in my sleep, as I flashed back to seeing his limp body in my husband's arms. I was so devastated and my head was pounding again. Eddie must have sensed my distress because he was suddenly in my face licking tears. I grabbed a tissue and dried my face and blew my nose and settled back into bed. Eddie molded his body next to me and Bo came out of the covers on the outside to cuddle next to my other side.

Bo has never been an affectionate dog and Eddie has never liked to sleep so close to me. Cujo wanted to be as close as he could get. He wanted his entire body to be in contact with me and we woke drenched in sweat many times. I fell asleep with one arm around Eddie and the other around Bo. I slept a few more hours and the headache was back in full force this morning.

I know it is probably allergies to pollen that is the culprit. I take Zyrtec, Singulair, and Flonase daily and that will usually keep the pain away. Not this week, though. 

Headache or not, I am gong to the Punkin Chunkin in town tomorrow! We have been tied to a business that kept us working and unable to attend such community activities for the last 20 years, so this should be fun. 

Comments

  1. I didn't realize you ran the camp for so many years. As long as I ran the first weaving business. I' looking forward to punkin' chunkin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there for much longer than we planned. We thought 10 years would be enough to be able to have enough equity to retire. Things seldom go the way we plan.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your headache woes, and props to Eddie for sticking by you while fickle Toni Louise and Bo were only in it for treats. At least Bo redeemed himself with comfort when you went back to bed. Such a nice dream while it lasted. My niece and I had frequent dreams of my mom after she died, but my sister didn't, and was quite jealous and saddened by her lack of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother visited both my sister and me in dreams. I don't know if my sister had any such visits from Daddy, but I did. I am disappointed that my sister has not visited me. I miss her a lot more than I thought I would. I would never have guessed that my little demon, Bo would have a tendancy to be empathetic!

      Delete
  3. I have found that if I don't take antihistamine soon enough I will get such a headache, then I take the antihistamine and a strong painkiller together, then I'll sleep it off and be fine. Drinking extra water helps too.
    I think Eddie and Bo know that you miss Cujo's comfort so have "stepped up".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can usually sleep off a headache, but this one was so persistant. I am feeling so much better today and am ready for some Punkin Chunkin!! Supposed to have quite a few local vendors and such. Easy way to learn more about the community and sample local restaurants. Bo has surprised me a lot. He has even succumbed to some kisses on his face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your headache has finally eased. I generally only get them some time in the wee hours. If I can drag myself out of bed to take some ibuprofen it will be gone by morning. I hate waking up with a headache.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier