Which Way?

 It rained last night. I should have known it would for several reasons. I spend a good amount of time and energy watering my newly planted mums and all the rest of my gardens yesterday. My arthritic joints were screaming all afternoon and into the night. When I visited the bathroom in the wee hours, I saw and heard the raindrops on the skylight.

I limped out of bed this morning, thinking I might not get much done today. I lathered on the miracle gel Diclofenac and brewed the coffee. The dogs and I were lounging in front of the TV when out of nowhere, HeWho got up earlier than usual said, "You ready to go to Murphy?"

"Do I look ready to go anywhere?" I replied, looking down at my robe and slippers, my hair standing on end. Besides, we just went there yesterday for my eye appointment that didn't happen. "Why do you want to go to Murphy?" I asked, although I was only half listening while I was watching a Netflix movie.

We do not drink well water, our dogs do not drink well water. Toni Louise's bladder burst from bladder stones and upon having the stones analyzed, it was determined that the minerals in the well water were the cause. Cheaper to get bottled water for the dogs than emergency surgery. But I digress.

We have a water dispenser and have been using the 5 gallon containers. It is hard to change the bottles. They are heavy and I have trouble getting the bottle high enough to get it placed atop the dispenser. I rarely have to change the bottle, but we recently found 3 gallon bottles in Walmart. Cute sqat little bottles that even I can handle. Doesn't mean I will change the bottle if HeWho is here. I am just a delicate flower, you know.

We tried to turn the 5 gallon bottles in at the Walmart we usually frequent does not participate in that particular program. When HeWho asked in that store he was told the closest store would be Gainesville. Yesterday he noticed that the store in Murphy would buy the bottles back. This was his reason to go to the store ..... for an $18 refund plus tax.

I went with him. Yesterday he kept going down the wrong road in Murphy and would get annoyed when I told him. Should I just let him go all the way to Andrews and figure it out on his own? Fuel is expensive. He almost took the wrong road today. We don't go to Murphy that often, it is true, but I can remember the road and we were just there YESTERDAY!

Coming out of the parking lot, he asked if we should turn left. I said that we should if we wanted to go home. I was just riding in my seat, playing a word game on my phone as we waited for the light to turn. He had turned left as we left, but we needed to turn left again at the intersection of 19 and 64. The sign says Hayesville with a left arrow. I figured he was paying attention until I look up to see that we are going straight. "Where are you going?" I ask. "Home." he says. I explained that we were headed to downtown Murphy and that he should have turned onto 64. He insisted that we were on 64.

Many years ago, early in our marriage, this is the person I depended on to get us where we were going. He did with uncanny ability in an age of no GPS, no Siri. I could get lost in the city we lived in and it wasn't big at all. Of course I did have 4 kids attached to me 24/7, so that might account for lacking a good sense of direction.

After he made a U-turn at the next light and we turned onto the correct highway we made light of the situation and were laughing at his inabilty to navigate without help. He suggested we should do a comedy routine together .....

Oh, honey I could do a one-woman show all about him for 72 hours straight! So much material to choose from, so very much!



Comments

  1. HIck missed a turn coming back from Oklahoma one time, after visiting The Pony at college during his junior year. After three years, he "forgot" which way to go. We even had the Garmin hooked up, to keep track of our ETA back at home. We drove 20 miles out of our way, and 20 miles back to make our turn. Not many places to turn around on an Oklahoma interstate. Good thing we weren't on the turnpike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I am always watching where he intends to go. I learned that all roads go somewhere when I started my job as a district manager for the fabric chain and had the entire panhandle of Florida and 2 Georgia stores and 1 Alabama store. I got lost a lot at first, then learned to rely on the sun for direction. Nowadays we have Siri on the phone telling us where to go and which lane to choose. It almost seems like cheating!

      Delete
  2. Makes me wonder about the wisdom of his going anywhere alone. Silver Alert? But, what with the relatively isolated area where you live, the chances of his being spotted aren't too great. Do y'all have an app on your phones so you could always locate him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He never goes anywhere alone except fishing and that is just down the road. We live near a major highway and it has a good bit of traffic. As long as it is an area he frequents a lot, he is ok, but I would never let him go alone to a new place. Yes, on the phones.

      Delete
  3. I use public transport and trust that the drivers know where they are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None in this area, not even a bus route. I would definitely use it to save on fuel! In Virginia, they used the public buses for schools as well as all the others. Many times the kids had to just stand in the aisles. It does teach one to use the bus at an early age, though.

      Delete
  4. I'm the navigator. When we were younger he would expect me to tell him where to turn but would get impatient and just strike out while I was trying to orient myself in a strange place which of course made it impossible for me to figure out where to turn to get us where we wanted to go because he would just make turns at random and then get mad at me because I couldn't tell him where to go. GPS has made it easier, now I just tell him do not start the car until I have the address plugged into maps and the route started.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier