Saturday Appointment

 When I made the appointment with the opthamalogist the day they contacted me from the referral my nurse practitioner sent to them, I was amazed that it was for a Saturday. The first date she chose was the Saturday I had company and no way would I spend part of my time in a doctor's office, so she offerred this Saturday at 8:40 am. I did offer a question about the day of the week. Seemed odd to me, but she assured me the date was for a Saturday.

I was sleeping soundly when the alarm aroused HeWho on his side of the bed. He is not prone to awaken one gently and he shook me when I didn't want to crawl from under my covers. Even Bo thought it strange to be up at this hour. He never gets me up before 7:30 and I have gradually pushed him to 8:00.

The dogs and I have a routine upon leaving our sleeping quarters. No matter how urgent my needs are, we head to the back door to go out and then I take care of myself. I leave the door open a I make coffee and gather up my phone and lap top to sit upon the couch quietly as I read email and blogs and wake gently in silence. No barking permitted for at least an hour.

Utter chaos reigned this morning. HeWho got up first and totally ignored the dogs and their needs. I stumbled out of bed, let them out, as they were barking in frustration, then hopped into the shower and made myself ready to ride. I did not wear make-up, as I knew there would be drops involved to dilate my pupils. I was unsettled as I swallowed my coffee in record time and we headed west to Murphy.

Never having been to this location before we left in plenty of time to get lost. We passed it twice before realizing the rundown building in a strip center was where we should be. The good news is that in doing so we found a flea market. We arrived 10 minutes early and both thought the place looked abandoned. Door was locked, so we sat in the car to wait until the appointed time.

A car pulled in next to us and a woman got out and gathered some cleaning supplies from her trunk, then asked if we were looking for Dr. "Cataract". She was surprised because she told us he never worked on Saturdays! I repeated my appointment process and told her I asked specifically about the day being Saturday.

After waiting until 8:50, we gave up and left. I would hve been bemoaning my loss of sleep, but I was excited to hit the flea market. Found nothing I couldn't live without and we headed to Lowes to get some toggle bolts. I found some plants worthy of rescue and bought them, then we headed to Walmart for juicy fruit gum. They were out of gum, but I got a pair of sandals for $2 and some garden tools on clearance.

Home now the old man is napping and the dogs have calmed down from their ecstatic greeting upon my return. I am now debating a nap for myself or mowing the upper area I did not get to yesterday. I should just bite the bullet and drag the mower up the hill and get it done, but perhaps it can wait a few hours .... I better not get a charge for a visit to the opthamalogist!!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I know! I asked twice about the day being Saturday and she assured me that he saw patients on Saturday. The place was so run down I don't know if I want to go back with another appointment.

      Delete
  2. After questioning the Saturday and being assured, I would refuse to pay any bill that came in from that non-appearance. And I would only be making weekday appointments from then on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, River, you should know by now that I will create a scene in the office of the doctor who did not show and be giving the appointment person a dressing down she won't soon forget! I always wonder about Medicare fraud in these situations. It is rampant in this country. I swear that people use more talent and energy defrauding others than they would at an actual job! As far as making another appointment with this particular doctor, I may just coose to drive farther and see someone who actually shows for the appointment.

      Delete
  3. I believe the entire medical system is in need of repair. My granddaughter had severe pain,and the doctor said he could see her in December or she could go to the ER. Unbelievable! At least you made the most of your day. I used to rescue Wally world's plants, too. Good feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I am tempted to go back to work and fix it myself. I am totally lying! I love to bring home a plant and watch it come back to life with just a little love and care!

      Delete
  4. Well, now you know, never schedule a doctor's appointment for Saturday. I'll be interested to hear the excuse when you call them on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I will be calling as soon as the office opens and I will not be my usual happy self. I mean I don't just go nuts on people with no reason, but giving me a reason makes me think you might deserve it! I asked her twice about the day of the week and she was annoyed with me. I challenge her to lose her patience with me tomorrow when I call, because I will hop in my car and deal with her in person and I will just consider anyone waiting to see the doctor as audience members.

      Delete
  5. I would pay admission to be in the audience for that comeuppance show!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier