Going Upstairs

 I have been in a slump of late. Totally uninspired to write. Or .... maybe too tired? My daily labor has my back aching through the night. If I sit too long I can't get staight up. I have to rise in increments. And if I am standing, I might as well be moving.

I hiked up the drive yesterday, just to look around. I haven't had to water things since it has rained overnight all week. As the lilies and iis are dying down, some blooms still seem to be happy. I planted a flat of small mums, careful to buy ones not in bloom yet. No pictures of those yet.

One of the two maple trees I brought with me that are thriving. It will need a good pruning soon. Gotta shave those branches to make them grow tall.


I need more mulch. I only bought 5 bags last time because I was in the car and HeWho insisted that only 5 bags would fit in my trunk. He was loading while I paid. I didn't argue about it, but I got 12 bags in the day I loaded it myself. He seems to have very little spacial concept about things, or I am just better at cramming stuff in a space.

This is the view from the driveway, only a tiny bit of that bright green soaker hose is visible. It took 10 bags to cover the soaker hoses in the garden coming down the drive. Sad to say I could make good use of another 40 bags or so. I am afraid I will run out of energy before I run out of mulch. But, it is on sale. Need to take the truck next time.

No big news here. No, I am wrong! I noticed that a building was going in Blairsville. We had been trying to guess what it might be these past months and last trip the sign was up. We are going to have an Aldi's. It will provide a little competition to Walmart and Ingles. I did see another grocery store there, but it looked a little sketchy and I couldn't convince HeWho to go in with me. Said his leg hurt, but he was fine to venture into a restaurant.

Another exciting addition to our area, right here in the city in which we live is a brand spanking new Family Dollar/Dollar Tree! I am tingling with anticipation. There are a lot of Save A Lot buildings with the signage still up, but they are abandoned. With the price of groceries rising, everyone is looking for good buys.

United Grocery Outlet in Murphy has some really good deals. I tried on several occasions to have HeWho stop there when we were they for other reasons, but he declined, much like he did in Blairsville at the Food Store that looked sketchy. They started advertising on Facebook and we went. We got some nice looking T-bones for $4.99 lb. I was dubious, but they were tasty. They had lots of canned and boxed food with decent prices and they were brand name. I checked the expiration date and they were close, but still with-in range.

And now I have been sitting too long and must get up and walk a bit. The rain will not necessarily prevent me walking up hill. We actually refer to my shed and garden area as "upstairs" now. I hear my garden calling out to me .....

Comments

  1. I have the same issue with my back. The muscles expand when I sit and they don't want to contract when I stand. I love salvage food stores and I am not concerned with expiration dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think my back would be accustomed to my activities by now! Must be getting old. Some things I will buy past the sell by date, other things, like mayonnaise I am more cautious.

      Delete
  2. Nice maple tree! I'd probably chop it down, thinking it was a tall weed. I don't know my plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew very little about trees before we bought the campground, but you learn as you go. As soon as I made garden beds under the existing maples, the little saplings came up and I would put them in pots to relocate them to a desired area. I brought 4 with me, two died and two are thriving. The sycamore sapling is struggling, but I think it will make it. I planted it this Spring, then recently dug it up and planted it near my She Shed to provide a bit of shade outside one of the windows. I really should have waited until next Spring.

      Delete
  3. Are you planning to tap the maple tree for syrup eventually? I wonder if HeWho's concern is for the springs and brakes in the car, they are only built to take a certain amount of weight and you're probably better off taking the truck next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the weight of the bags was fine, he just didn't want to load it. I have loaded both vehicles and find it easier to load my car, as it is lower to the ground. I have never tapped a tree and wonder if it have to be a specific variety. We had some campers from Vermont once who gifted us some syrup from their trees. It was amazing, but from what they said, it was a very precise and exacting process. Also took a grove of trees to get enough sap to even contemplate trying.

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking of your safety on those mountainous roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we have been okay. I tend to get a little worried in winter months. I love the snow, but hate icy roads.

      Delete
  5. I bought three bags of mulch in the spring and only got two spread out before it just got too hot to do any physical labor outside. We have an Aldis but it's a 30 minute drive and the local grocery store is less than 10 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spread upwards of about 75 bags so far. I am trying to eliminate mowing on a slope. There is just not that many options for groceries here, so I will drive to Aldi's .

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier