Assassin Of Dirt And Disorder

 


This what the embankment looked like when we moved here last January.


This is yesterday. The pile of debris at the top will be burned. In October a man with a big machine will be cutting the end off where I have cleared the trees. As you can see, HeWho never sufficiently buried the drain pipe and it will be replaced and I will have a new space to park my car! Well, after a few tons of rock are spread. The big rocks will be relocated to other spots yet to be chosen.



This is up on the embankment before a She Shed had arrived. The trees were bare and you can easiliy see the neighbor on the road below our drive. The ground was covered with years of dead leaves and fallen limbs, as well as pieces of underpinning left there by who knows who.


That was then, this is now. As you can see when the trees take on their annual foliage, the neighbors are hidden from view. I think the view is nicer, too. Pictures cannot convey the feeling of this place, though. The temperature drops under the trees and a breeze is always present. So calm and peaceful. I love this particular place in my gardens. I feel hidden when I am here, just watching the bees and butterflies and listening to the birds and other things in the woods behind me. I have yet to encounter a bear up here. Deer leave tracks when they visit in the night to eat my flowers and I have seen many a jack rabbit. Oddly enough, I haven't seen many squirrels. If I put out a bird feeder, I am sure they would be there, though. I might do just that next Spring, despite the neighbors warning that bears would show up. I am brave like that ......

It is fun to see the changes in the landscape in less than a year. It will look different next year, as well. Gardens are like that, slowly evolving, then dying back for new plants to take their place. Today will be all about cleaning house. Boring, but has to be done. The turtle habitat needs scrubbing, as well as the bathroom and kitchen. I will assign the vacuum to HeWho loves machines that make noise as I take care of the wet work. Makes me sound like an assassin! 


Comments

  1. You have tamed the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed every minute. Okay, maybe not the day I planted my face on that log! I would much rather be outdoors, though. Next year will have more changes to make, I am tited now and plan to just maintain for the remainder of the warm weather.

      Delete
  2. The previuos owner was at first a little dubious as I began clearing. I suppose he thought I was destroying the nature aspect of being hidden in the woods. He has since complimented my efforts. I am not done, but a garden is never done. I am hoping the operater of the excavater will understand what I am looking for when I ask him to make a "stairway" to the top. I want to put a fire pit and pizza oven up there with some natural seating of stumps and logs. Since my indoor pace is so small, I need outdoor space to entertain company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work is evident. Still too hot out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to have lower temps in the mountains. It is becoming downright chilly when the sun is down.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold