Who Are You?

 Yesterday was spent in a benadryl stupor. No, not poison ivy. I seem to have avoided any leaves of three as I cleared my woods and claimed my territory on the embankment. I know there is some, I have seen it and steered clear.

I have been thinking about terracing the slope that I have cultivated and mulched. It is hard to maintain my balance while planting, then tending flowers. I had it all worked out in my mind. No, I didn't want any help or input from HeWho would want to go buy a piece of heavy equipment and then take over like a bull in a china closet. It would end up being a mess I would then have to deal with. I knew it would require a lot of muscle pain and sweat, but what else do I have to do?

Gloves, a spade and my garden shoes that allow me to stand at an angle on the slope. Check, check, check. I trudged up the driveway in the cool of the evening and after positioning my sprinklers on my other garden beds I began to work. I decided to start with a gentler slope as you ascend the driveway beyond my already mulched in bed. I stood on the pavement and began to dig a small ledge above the daylilies already planted. It was going easier than I expected. I had thought I would hit a lot of rocks and resistance, but I didn't. Biggest rock was about fist sized. Next step was to go up the embankment and and make the next slice from that angle. I went along for about 10 feet, then went up and moved my sprinkler again and started digging away.

I was patting myself on the back, as my plan seemed to be working and a wonderful cool breeze accompanied the sudden drop in temperature that meant a storm was brewing. I was thankful for the breeze, I was fighting the sweat rolling into my eyes and thinking that I should hike down the hill soon.

I finished the initial row and decided to keep going up top. That's when I hit the bed of hornets! I pushed my shovel in the ground and a second later they swarmed up in an angry swirl and I threw the shovel down as I ran to the other end to escape them. This was not my first adventure with their kind! Last time I didn't react as quick and they launched a vicious attack up the legs of my shorts and down my shirt.

Still they got me. Three stings on my arms, four on my legs, one on my heel and the worst one was on the back of my head. It is still so sore. Feels like I got smacked in the head with a baseball bat! I struggled with my phone and sweaty fingers and called for back up. HeWho to the rescue, right?

This is how the conversation went. Me: "Bring the wasp spray and come up here." Him: "What, I can't understand you." Me, louder: "I have been stung by yellow jackets, bring the wasp spray up here!" Him: "What? A jacket? What are you talking about?" Me, thinking I should have texted, but thought this would be quicker: "Can you just come up here and help me?" I didn't wait for a reply. I was down at the end closest to the house by then, pulling my shirt off and picking dead hornets off my body.

He finally emerged from his castle and looked up at me to ask me again what I was talking about. He looked at me in my underwear and wanted to know what I was doing and why I just didn't go the the steps and come down. Because the swarm was near the steps, I didn't think I wanted to encounter more stings, silly me. I asked about the bug spray and he said he didn't know where it was. Since he was the last person to use it, this seemed about right. I slid my way down the embankment as far away from the hornets as I could get and proceeded to march into the shed and see that for once he had put something back where it belonged. I handed the can of bug killer to the man and told him to turn the water off to my irrigation system and I headed to the shower.

The cold water always helps, but I was pretty miserable. I had pulled the stinger out of my right arm and proceeded to check the other sites for more. I then checked the medicine cabinet for a remedy. Great, no benadryl, no other antihistamines. Plenty of poison ivy aides, no bee sting aides. I spied some Vicks vapor rub and checked the ingredients. Camphor and menthol, why not give it a try? I did and it brought a measure of relief.

Then I ventured to the wild side of my life and asked HeWho can't hear to check the sting on the back of my head, as it was the one that hurt the most. He reluntantly heaved himself out of his recliner and came to the bathroom and said he didn't see anything. I told him I wanted to see if the stinger was still imbedded in my scalp. I put my finger on the stung area. He fumbled around and still saw nothing , so I glopped some Vicks on that one, too.

I took 800 mg. of Ibuprofen, the strongest dosage one should take, some melatonin and hoped for the best. I did sleep some, but it was a miserable night. My canines weren't too keen on cuddling with me, due to the smell of the Vicks. Just as well, I was not in a cuddling mood.

Morning arrived and itching started. HeWho offered to get me an iced coffee form McDonalds. I accepted and requested that he visit Walgreens, right across the street and get some Benadryl. Told him generic was fine. He brought me "Allergy Relief, plus congestion" telling me that the Walgreens had no benadryl. I give up. I almost asked if he had even thought about asking for assistance, but I already knew the answer. It had the ingredient I wanted, plus another I didn't need. I took it. He wanted to know why I was so fussy about it. The other ingredient tends to raise your blood pressure and was not necessary. Drew a blank look from the man who used to work in the medical field and apparently retained no knowledge from that experience. 

He then said, "You left the water on all night up there by your shed." I asked if he remembered that I had asked him to turn it off. He has no memory of that, just that I yelled on the phone about jackets. I just looked at this man I have been married to for almost 50 years and said, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?"

Comments

  1. Youch! Sorry you got attacked. Every few years, Hick mows over a hornet nest in the BARn field. He's never gotten that many stings. I guess he drives away as fast as the mower will go! Three or four stings for him.

    When I was in the grocery store, I saw many boxes of Benadryl on the pharmacy shelf! The tall kind like a bottle of liquid, and the packs of pills. And I wasn't even looking for it! Just glanced down there after reading your post before I left home. So I'm pretty sure Walgreens would have Benadryl!

    Your interaction with HeWho would have had me laughing louder, but out of respect for you being jabbed with venom throughout the ordeal, I tried to stifle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a sitcom. I am the intelligent one and , well, we all know which one HeWho is. I want to set his hearing aids on fire! But, he would just buy the same ones again. If we watch a TV show, I can tell he doesn't hear what is being said as he looks at me laughing like I am the one with hearing problems. I have to put it on hold, then tell him what was said and then he will find the humor. Had to ezplain to him that a hornet by any other name (yellow jackets) is still a hornet.

      Delete
  2. Ouch! I hope you are feeling much better soon. I'm feeling a little angry at HeWho, sorry about that, but you did suffer and he couldn't even remember to turn off that water. I think you need a series of laminated cards with things like Benadryl on them so you can just hand him one when you need something specific from the store. Or just buy a big supply yourself next time you shop.
    Also, a bandanna tied Apache style around the head helps to stop the sweat running into your eyes. Or any other piece of absorbent fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would lose the card. I usually text him with specific instructions, but I was absolutely miserable. The itching was awful. I had 3 in a row on my right inner thigh and one on the other inner thigh. Two on my left upper arm and one on the right upper arm. The one on my heel was minimal, as my skin is tough in the summer. That scalp one felt like it went into my skull! I wear a hat with a wide brim. I launder all of my hats as the headband becomes soaked. I sweat an abnormal amout. I have another clinic appointment to do further testing on my thyroid. Makes no sense to me that it could be my thyroid being over active, since I would be dropping weight and I am not.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Multiple stings suck. I'm glad we don't have ground nests. Are you sure HeWho isn't venturing into dementia? My husband likes to have a couple of drinks at night. I have learned not to discuss anything with him then as he never remembers anything said the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dementia? No, I had them do some cognitive tests and make them repeat them every year. I think it is his hearing, or lack of hearing, that is the problem. So far he is resistant to going to an audiologist and getting the really expensive hearing aids. My Dad was the same way. I can watch him whe we are around our kids and there is a lot of talking going on and know that he missed most of what was being said and filled in the blanks on his own, so he misunderstood and would respond inappropiately. It is funny how each of the children react to him. Our youngest tends to coddle him and worry about him. Our son is a lot closer to me than his dad, so he misses the nuances. His twin sister is going through some sort of reinvention of herself and doesn't really care about anything that doesn't have her in the center. She is have all sorts of procedures done to her face to look younger. If she injects much more botox, her lips might explode! This month is all about cool sculpting of her upper arms. She works at the spa, so her treatments are free. I think she is starting to look bizare, but I dar not tell her that!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier